Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Any 1 know anything about diesel engines?

alright peeps

i know its not corrado related but im stuck (with my van blocking my drive!!!)

My van sometimes runs really rough and occassionally wont start or if it does start it wont rev then stalls - it seem like not all the cylinders are firing

The fuel pump is fine but i dont think the glow plugs are working as the light doesnt seem to be coming on anymore. So what ive been told is that if you have to change the glow plugs the most likely reason for them going is because the injectors are "dripping" fuel onto them and as such you should really replace the injectors as well.

On my engine the glow plugs and injectors seem quite easy to get to but does a diesel engine injection system work under pressure or can you just unbolt them and the glow plugs and bung the new ones on? is there anything else i need to know?

By the way its an iveco with the 2.5 transit non turbo lump in it

cheers

Brett

The glow plugs are only likely to be an issue if the engine is a pain to start from cold. Any running problems post-start could well be the injectors since good fuel atomisation is critical in diesel engines. If the injectors have done over 100k miles then they're probably due for a change.

I'm not familiar with the transit engine but being normally aspirated keeps things simple! A compression test may be a good place to start also. My mate bought a cheap non-direct injection turbo diesel Land Rover a while ago, which ran rough and was a pain to start. It turned out that it had four cracked pistons. I doubt this is your problem but if you can eliminate the basic engine from the equation there's only really the injectors, the diesel pump or the diesel pump timing left to test!

I'm pretty sure the transit diesel engine's dont have glow plugs on them,Hence the reason that there's no glowplug light on the dashboard!

We look after a couple of them at work and i dont recall seeing any glow plugs on them,i think they just rely on higher compression ratio's to start.

I think it's more likely that it's drawing air in somewhere causing poor starting and running.

the transit has iirc a fuel enrichment device on the injection pump and a temp sensor ( depending on year ), another problem that can afflict these engines is the horrible hand priming pump that allows air to enter the system and the fuel in the line to drop back into the tank, replacement is the only cure i`m afraid and it isnt peanuts to buy either, if you can check with an iveco dealer that it uses the same hand primer as the transit then this will usually be your problem, that said, it would also be a good idea to replace the fuel filter and ensure the fuel lines are ok.

cheers for the replies,

1, oops i meant it was an LDV with the transit engine (going mental!!! had a hard week)

2, It has got a glow plugs light which did used to come on but is now not coming on

3, I recently had a service so all the filters are fine

4, It looks like the fuel pump has been replaced because it is alot cleaner and less corroded than the rest of the engine

Im definately going to start by getting the injectors changed as they do physically look ropey - so is it a job that i can do myself or is a job that i need to get a garage to do?

Might be an idea to check the spill pipes coming from the injectors as well, as these are prone to perishing, and p1ssing diesel down the side of your block. With changing the glow plugs, it's a simple, 'one out-one in' job on most engines (depending on how easy they are to get at...).

On my Audi, the light comes on but due to a dodgy connection somewhere in the fusebox, it doesn't actually activate the glow plugs. If that's the case, the best (cheapest!) solution is to have a manual override switch wired in.

Cheers,

Tom