Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

G60 Steering rack advice pls!!

To recondition it - since one of the seal is leaking badly - would getting a seal kit from VW (think its £95) and replacing them be enough? Or are there other things I could do?

Since I am asking - where have other people bought reconditioned/new/exchange racks from? I have seen the ones available via ECP but they are quite expensive and I am unsure whether they come with track rods and boots as part of the 'kit'. Alternatively I may look into track rods from VW as I'll need the ends anyway...

Any thoughts/findings welcome!!

Hi.

Have you tried an online parts request? Place one here...

http://www.247spares.co.uk/vw-parts/

Just ask for a G60 rack.. When I have asked for a steering rack I usually get a couple of companies call me about a pickup service-rebuild and then deliver it back. Last one I did was for the mother-inlaws Daewoo. Cost £150 rebuilt and returned.

Worth a try.

Good idea!

Thing is - I don't have somewhere to store the car when its 'in bits' waiting for it to be returned. So I either have to have a garage do it or just take it to a friends garage in another city and work on it over a weekend - replacing the seals myself.

I got play in mine and been looking into a new one before i can get alinement done on the car.

Vag new is something silly like £800 and they dont do exchange for the g60.

ecp are the cheapest so far £136 plus vat and 105 retainer till u send urs back

@G60Dub the guy i spoke to today from gsf said they are able to supply them (I didnt think so either) - within £10 quid of the price given to me by ECP. Are you still looking too?

_leon_, Also 2 different types for the g60 so be careful. Chassis range up tp 487* is a 36 spline and 488> is 22 spline

fitted one at the weekend from ECP - will post up if it fails - but driving now would suggest everything is spot on!

Luke - as you know i replaced the rack, track rods, ends and all sorts of bolts, clamps, bushes and seals, cleaned up all the existing pipes and fitted new jubilees and a t-piece - essentially to get a new setup for the power steering system. the results are fantastic - feels like a new car! ask if you have anymore questions mate

fitted one at the weekend from ECP - will post up if it fails - but driving now would suggest everything is spot on!

Luke - as you know i replaced the rack, track rods, ends and all sorts of bolts, clamps, bushes and seals, cleaned up all the existing pipes and fitted new jubilees and a t-piece - essentially to get a new setup for the power steering system. the results are fantastic - feels like a new car! ask if you have anymore questions mate

Hi _leon_,

What were the characteristics of your steering problems?

My 16v has had new bushes all round, ball joints and top mounts, koni & eibach susp. and new drop links and arb inner bushes.

I'm getting a progressively worse play problem in the centre position and it's creating quite a bad response when turning into bends or direction, the old bits are steering column and UJ, rack and tie rods, although the tie rods were fine a few months back when the alignment was done, oddly there doesn't seem to be much of a problem in the steering when the car is stationary, it's winding through bends or keeping straight on the M-way that's getting bad.

I would really like to get this driving 'as new' again, I guess I'll have to get it up on the ramp and check the play in everything to work out what needs replacing.

David.

David, my steering wasn't that light, sure it was assisted, but gave a lot of feedback and was still reasonably heavy. I also had fluid everywhere that was leaking from seals on my rack, so it was clearly time to change. I can't identify specific steering issues related to the rack since I have 2 cv joints that also need replacing (inner and outer). However in a straight line I noticed play when in center position. Since replacing the rack with rods etc I don't have that anymore - theres a night and day difference. Since both rack and rods/ends are new I've alleviated any chance of play in any of the joints. Have you checked the joints that attach the rods to the rack? A thinnish 32mm spanner will do that - just under the boots. Or any of the bolts on the rack? Or the state of the bush under the clamp? The rack itself is a pretty solid unit, so would try and look at the rods and each of the ball joints first. Don't know where to start looking on the column I'm afraid - but I know there are people on here who do - kevhaywire does iirc. Just try and make sure alls good and tight.

When I mentioned bushes, I actually meant the bush on the U-clamp that holds one side of the rack to the subframe. I have however changed all the suspension bushes, wishbones, ball joints and bearings quite recently. I haven't yet changed the ARB, associated bushes, drop links and suspension/top mounts etc. and all sorts of relating bolts/nuts.

Does that help any?