Sign in to follow this  
TOP DOG!!!

polished engine covers??????

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Corrado VR6 and i want to tart up the engine with a few polished bits (V sexy i think :lol: ), i've seen the usual bits and pieces such as battery covers. But what else is available? And where can you buy it from?

As you can all understand, i don't want it to look $#!7 so it must be good quality stuff.

Thanks

No point adding bling to a dirty engine, so get the thing properly clean first! That alone will make a big difference.

VRs always look great with polished intake manifolds. Cheap and not difficult to do yourself, just time consuming and a bit messy. A small detail sander helps. Search the web for How-Tos.

You can also paint much of the engine plastics to match/contrast: Just make sure the surfaces are well preped and use a good 2-pack laquer to seal.

Induction kits help make the bay look good too, especially with a polished or Carbon heatshield.

HTH

JohnJ

I did a 16V manifold years ago...took a week to do, each evening after work.

Start off by sanding the main runners down with varying grades of emery cloth until smooth. Then with some coarse metal polish, go over the manifold repeatedly with a buffer in a drill. Then do the same with a finer metal polish like Autosol.

The more intricate parts of the manifold can be polished with a dremel, which come with numerous attachments. Or you can detail the hard to get at parts with black smoothrite paint, which also looks good.

One thing to bear in mind. Winter. Road salt. Either laquer the finished product or rebuff every weekend.

Happy buffing.

Kev