Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

Driveshaft flange

Hi,

Basically the drives side gearbox flange has come out of the gearbox (02A). Don't ask how it just has. I've read a few threads that say just to clought it one with a hammer, but i tried that and there's still about 10mm still sticking out, even tho i did proper clought it. My next idea was some sort of press to push it back in - i know VW have a special one but they said they wouldn't sell me one.

Any ideas?

Do i just hit it with a really big hammer, cobble up some sort of press (if so how big/small) or something else?

You might need to take the inner cv off and tap it directly that way. There is a circlip that holds it onto the diff shaft and it's accessible by taking the inner seal out of the flange.

If it's anything like the setup on my old Mk2 GTI 8v, which also used a circlip, you'll need something along the lines of the 'special tool' to pull the diff output shaft through the driveshaft flange far enough to get the circlip on.

The tool VW use is an 18mm-ish square bar that's a little longer than the flange diameter. There's a hole drilled through the centre large enough to pass a 10mm threaded rod through with a nut on one end.

The idea is that the threaded rod is first screwed into the diff output shaft. The nut is then wound down to pull the driveshaft through the flange using the bar as a lever against the flange. It's fiddly to get the circlip on but there's enough room behind the bar.

That's if it's the same at the 8v GTI setup...

On my 16v Corrado there is no circlip and the flange is tapered. It required a good beating to get it on the diff output shaft.

Mines a 1991 16v so should be like yours, but i can't remeber if the flange is tapered or not. Here's a pic of one that's the same (lifted off another post by CaiosG60 PWR) What do you think, get the hammer out again?