Sign in to follow this  
Storm77

Query - Fluid coming from the Koni TA's

Spoke to Vince at Stealth today and he said that he doesn't claim back labour but does the work himself as a gesture of good will - something known as good customer service!

What a gent he is!

Still tempted with new OEM shocks and springs but they're over 500 smackers from the stealers!

Did you not keep your original springs?? There's no need to replace them for new ones if you still have them. For dampers get some Bilstein gas versions, they're cheaper and better than the Boge items VW use.

Did you not keep your original springs??

Hmmm, bit of a touchy subject! AmD forgot to return them with the car - I chased several times and they still didn't send them! Then I forgot about them! I mentioned that in the letter aswell!

Advice to everyone, avoid AmD and GO TO STEALTH. AmD are obviously only interested in customers with R32's and RS4's!!

Hmmm, bit of a touchy subject! AmD forgot to return them with the car - I chased several times and they still didn't send them!

:shock: P!ss poor service mate. I'm stunned!

Try blagging a set of springs from another VR owner on here, or eBay?

That is shocking!

Sorry mate, I didn't realise Vince swallowed the labour on koni replacements :shock: He always told me the labour is claimed back from Koni.

What is it with companies these days?

Go back to AmD mate and get them to fit some cams and a schrick or something and give them a cheque you know will bounce and leave a false address :-)

MoonlightVR Did you put Bilstein Gas ones on before you sold your C? How much are they?

Kev, :lol: sounds good but they already have my address!!

Supercharged Yeah stealer springs are best part of £200!

Can I use my Eibachs with OEM dampers?

I think Eibach were designed to go with OE shocks. I'm not sure what the ride is like though.

:shock: Just got a quote from Euro Car Parts - their OE Bilstein shocks will total £121 inc VAT! Apparently they are the same as the BOGE ones and were orginally used by VW?

Not sure the ride with Eibach springs would be that good!

MoonlightVR Did you put Bilstein Gas ones on before you sold your C? How much are they?

Yes. Got mine through a good friend at ECP, so bit of a deal :wink:

The standard Bilstein dampers are good, but the gas ones are better, but they cost more.

Or you can try Sachs gas dampers through GSF. Both are better than VW OE.

Not a good combination. Lowering springs are best used with uprated dampers. Most uprated dampers are shorter than OE and designed to be used with lowering springs (which are also shorter).

If you intend to use OE length dampers (like the Bilsteins or Sachs), you're best off with standard springs. Short springs + standard dampers = terrible ride.

Look out on eBay, some standard VR springs are bound to come up. Or put a wanted ad on the forum - no one drives a standard ride height VR on here :lol:

Sachs Advantage dampers ARE VW OE. So "the same as" would be absolutely true. BOGE Turbogas dampers are the same as the SACHS ones, they're all made on the same factory line.

The non-VRs came with SACHS standard dampers (i.e. non-gas-filled), but they're otherwise identical.

The OE VR dampers were oil filled SACHs...red at the rear and black at the front. And they were cack....too soft for spirited B road blasting...fine on motorways etc.

Eibach springs for the VR are not designed for use with the original dampers. Only the Eibach 'OE Sport' springs are, and they're only for recent cars, not Rados I'm afraid.

Yep, oil-filled,but with gas pressure over the oil. (You can tell because they stay extended when you release the weight on them!)

And yes, they're a bit soft compared to most modern car dampers!

Aha, Konis are gas over oil then as they 'return' after you've pressed the piston rod down.....strange tho as my OE dampers pressed down and stayed down! Must have been fecked.

Fecked? Yes! Cos the brand new rear pair I got from a nice man at VW definitely sprang back up.

.. Then I sold them and got a set of Sachs branded ones, which were absolutely 100% identical, except they were black.

Well, well, well - got a call from AmD of all people today - they said they've spoken to Koni who will be sending them 2 new replacements shocks and they will replace them free of charge! :shock: :D Thats a turn-up for the books!!

I said I'd had a rethink and wanted them to put some OE Bilsteins (which i'll supply) and i'd pay for the fitting of the rears. They're looking for my standard springs too to go back on! So watch this space, will probably be selling the konis (2 of which will be new) and the Eibachs.

Bit apprehensive bout going back to standard ride but I've made my decision now (i think) - i'm sick of the rattles, clunking parcel shelf and speed bumps!! I fancy a summer of smooth cruising 8) Is it a good decision????

I think maybe I should get my flame suit on cos in the future I'll take some sh*t from you guys bout the 4 x 4 ride height!! :oops:

Excellent news mate, persistance pays off but all in all, AmD have been very cr@p about this.

The ride height issue is purely down to you. Just depends what your driving style is. There's no way I would ever go back to standard. H&R coils offer far better damping control than any other suspension (for VW's) I've tried and the ride comfort is excellent. I think you should get some :-)

Another update on this incident....

I mentioned earlier in the thread that AmD had lost my original springs. They phoned me the other day saying they'd ordered me some new ones from Germany. So today I went to AmD to get the original VW shocks (which I supplied) and springs fitted (they said they'd cover the labour cost for the fronts as compensation for the faulty front Konis). To cut a long story short, they'd ordered the wrong springs, which meant putting the Eibachs back on with standard dampers! I was there for 6 hours aswell just to get them switched over!!!!

The ride is definiately smoother (wafted along at 110mph on the A34) but it's a bit 'halfway house' having lowering springs on standard shocks.

Has to be said, AMD these days are a bit of a p*ss poor outfit. Was speaking to another guy who had bought his A4 in as they'd previously left the oil cap loose from a service and oil had spilt out everywhere :roll: I told him i'd been waiting 6 hours and he said he was there till 8.30pm on one occasion!