Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Steering lock and potential damage to steering rack

Hi

I've got a Golf VR6.

When ever possible after I have parked up and turned the engine off I twist the steering wheel a bit until the lock comes on (as it does with any car). Occasionally I find the lock doesn't come on no matter how much I twist the steering wheel to get the lock on. My question is..is it damaging to twist the steering wheel too much to attempt to get the lock on? Will it cause undue stress on the steering rack or is the Golf VR6 steering rack very tough?

What ever the answer I don't bother putting the steering lock on unless I comes on straight away.

My car's steering seems fine with a little play in steering as it has always done. When I turn corners there is no "knocking" sound, only the hiss hiss of the PAS pump which is quite audiable even in half lock.

What are the symptoms of a steering rack on it's way out? Is it very easy for the likes of The Phirm to get access to and see what condition my steering rack is in?

Are reconditioned racks much cheaper and equally as good? I know Corrado ones go for around £150-200 from ESP and I think GSF. VAG ones are over £800!! How good are ESP and GSF reconditioned steering racks? And how much is the labour to fit one?

What exactly is "play in steering", as I've heard other members complain of this sometimes? Is this when you're driving a long and you can turn the steering wheel slightly in either direction and the car won't move, i.e you have to turn it more to actually turn the car? My car has always done that, in fact any car I've owned has done it too. I guess it's bad when it gets to the point when the play in movement gets a bit too large.

Is there any way to "tighten" this "play" up without getting a new rack, so as to make the steering far more communicative and responsive (as that is something the Golf VR6 lacks as standard)?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

VAG original steering rack is ~£300+VAT (well, depending on which model Golf you have .. since you're posting on the Corrado forum we're assuming it's a 1995-1998 mk3 or so..).

You won't ruin the rack by leaving the steering "tight" as you say, I'd be more worried about the steering column itself.

When you say there's a "little play", how much are we talking about here? How much movement do you have at the edge of the steering wheel before you feel the slack taken up? 2mm? 5mm? 20mm? If the latter you have a serious problem .. !

I think there is an adjustment screw on some steering racks, but that just keeps the pinion tightly squeezed against the rack. It can't fix play in the UJs or the column.

I think you need to define your problem more carefully and decide if it's really worth fixing.

Probably a cm I'd say, maybe slightly less. Hard to tell really. After a cm the car drifts so I wouldn't say any more than that at all. Is a cm play something that is quite normal?

Update: just drove my car and I'd say the play was no more than 5mm, although hard to test as I'm trying to keep an eye on road at the same time lol. But it starts drifting (i.e taking the slack up) between 5mm and 1cm so I'm sure mine is ok. I also drove my gf's new Polo (2 years old) and her steering is far more tighter and better than my golf mk3 but then I guess not only is it much newer but the turning circle in both cars is very different.

My golf is a mark3 vr6 (1997).

How much is a VAG original steering column (+vat) and how long would it take a garage to fit? Anyone?

Is there any way to "beef" up my steering response and make it tighter?

Thanks for your help.

Steering column I have no idea on the price. FYI the Corrado adjustable column costs £537+VAT new!! The Golf one is probably cheaper, but I couldn't possible guess how much. It's 3-4 hours for a garage. Not a job you would do "just in case", unless you're a bit insane...

"play" in the steering is much more subtle than just "mushiness" .. There's a difference. What about driving in a straight line on a very bumpy road? Can you feel a hard clunk-clunk-clunk as the steering gets thumped from one side to the other? If so, that's play. If not, it's mush.

(I should add that a certain amount of mush is normal on old cars..)

Even if there is a clunk, you really should consider getting things like the track rod ends, bottom ball joints, wishbone bushes, wheel bearings etc checked before assuming it's the steering that's causing it.

Sounds like I have mush then more than play. I don't get any metallic clicking sounds, and I certainly go over bumpy roads where I live.

Any idea on the cost of a new steering column or how to tighten up my overall steering "feel" on my golf?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers