Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Small oil leak

My 91 Aqua G60 has developed a small oil leak from the rear of the engine, weather has been too crap to locate it but know its definitely not the rocker cover gasket.

Only losing about 1/4 litre every 1000 - 1500 miles, gut feeling is the oil pressure switch.

Am I right in thinking there is just the one switch, where can I locate it and will the stealer offer me more than one type of switch

Cheers

same problem, mechanic told me its a seal in the crank, its worn and is leaking oil, but he goes its not enough o f aleak and too expensive to fix to worry about

He told me to worry about my leaking oil filter first lol

The oil pressure switch is on top of the oil filter. There's a rubber cover on it. Take that off, then slide the wire off the top, unscrew the old one and refit in reverse. Cost £2.50 + VAT from GSF. There's aleast 2 different types - blue and black.

I too am looking forward to a drive with no oil patches!

Cheers,

Briggy

there has been a small amount of oil dripping on my drive for a while now but after driving to dubfreeze and back on sunday i noticed a hot oily smell every time i stopped at a junction,

i checked the oil level when i got home and it was only just registering on the dipstick :shock:, i then looked under the car and the whole underside including the downpipes and exhaust was coated with oil and oil had flicked up all over the back of the car and had even found its way onto the back brake disks.

i assumed it was the o-ring on the back of the charger support bracket which i changed, which did look like it had been weeping a little,

i topped the oil up and then drove down to a mates workshop to help him work on his splitty camper but when i got there i left the engine running and had a look underneath again and oil was pouring off the bottom of the sump i opened the bonnet and oil was actually squirting out of the top of the oil pressure switch :mad:

as a get me home measure we removed the pressure switch and put a blanking cap in the hole. (luckily had one cap with the correct thread)

does the oil pressure warning light and beeper only sound after a certain rpm? as if i kept the revs low on the way home it was ok but as soon as i picked the rev's up to about 3k it started beeping (very anoying beep it is too) and only re-set when i flicked the ignition off/on.

is this the switch that can be replaced by an oil pressure sender and switch module which can be used to feed a pressure guage?

if so i might just get one of those if they are not too expensive as i was thinking of getting a pressure guage anyway.

i`ve had a couple of oil pressure switches go on mine and missus` car, and it doesnt take long at all to dump all your oil everywhere!!

good for rust prevention thou eh??

cheap as chip to get replaced

does the oil pressure warning light and beeper only sound after a certain rpm?

i think it registers after 2000rpm

i`ve had a couple of oil pressure switches go on mine and missus` car, and it doesnt take long at all to dump all your oil everywhere!!

good for rust prevention thou eh??

cheap as chip to get replaced

does the oil pressure warning light and beeper only sound after a certain rpm?

i think it registers after 2000rpm

good for rust prevention yes, but bad for freshly waxed paint and polished rocker cover and alternator :lol:

its still a pain though the oil its lost actually costs more than the sensor :cry: :brickwall:

right i just phoned ecp as there is a branch on my way home and they said they think the part i need is an oil pressure sender costing £22 quid which they need to order in specially?

the one that has failed is the larger one on the top of the oil filter housing closest to the block with a black plastic top (about 24mm spanner to remove i think).

from earlier posts on the forum there seems to be a lot of mention of the black sensor on the top of the oil filter housing failing and its also worth replacing the blue pressure switch on the charger oil feed on the side of the head.

is it the top two of these? clicky

£22 surely its just a sensor like the one in the pic, my mechanic normally gives them to me for free!!!

he always baffles me with one being high pressure and one being low pressure, but either can be normally open circuit or normally closed circuit.

fitting the wrong one will result in buzzer going off even if sensor is fine and pressure is fine

actually i cant remember now if its actually black or brown as i am at work and the car (and sensor) are at home :oops:

was a late night last night :morning:

all i know is its defimately the larger of the two on top of the oil filter housing and its the one closest to the engine block.

i'm confused now :scratch: