Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Oil cooler

Anyone got a mocal or other rad type oil cooler ?

How effective are they compared to the water cooled sandwich plate? What is the typical temp differences between an avg 13 row cooler and the standard water-cooled oil?

Anyone got a pic of one installed?

Is there any issue with the oil temp rising in traffic or when idle as the cooler is not getting airflow and there is no fan on it?

bought one of the mocal kits in the recent g-werks group buy, the highest temp i had seen with the crappy old oil/water cooler was 123 degrees after some hard driving, the highest i have managed since fitting the oil cooler is 92 degrees c.

absolutely no problems in traffic as the oil temp only really rises when the engine is doing some hard work it usually sits around 85 degrees c.

I have just brought a cooler as well although havent fitted it. The concern that I have is what happens if the thermostat plate fails? Does it have a failsafe system? I am worried that the oil could stop flowing through the cooler but at the same time not have the original system to cool it and end up getting very hot very fast..... :shock: Does anyone know about this?

It has never happened yet Dan to my knowledge. The oil would not get cooled as you say but you would see the water temp go up accordingly.

Don't worry about that happening.

Anyone got a mocal or other rad type oil cooler ?

How effective are they compared to the water cooled sandwich plate? What is the typical temp differences between an avg 13 row cooler and the standard water-cooled oil?

Anyone got a pic of one installed?

Is there any issue with the oil temp rising in traffic or when idle as the cooler is not getting airflow and there is no fan on it?

The effect is quite drastic in my experience. On my G60 GTI the oil temp dropped to early 80s on the motorways and although it would get into the 130s on trackdays in the summer, as some as you came off the gas it would start to fall. Usually a couple of degrees per half mile.

The water system gets a much easier time as well. My Golf could have got away with a smaller rad, except the I/C would have no support. The water temp rarely came out of the white.

Even in traffic the oil would strat cooling again as soon as you moved off.

All in all the benefits far outweigh the downsides.

Oil cooling should be addressed on std cars and is essential on chipped ones.

Gavin

the oil temp only really rises when the engine is doing some hard work it usually sits around 85 degrees c.

I have found my oil temp is grand when doing the work its the short sprints that warm things up and its in traffic/idle.

I wouldn’t worry about a plate failing it would be fairly obvious to notice as your oil temp would go over 100 in no time. Some people use plates with no stats for that reason but I have never heard of one failing to circulate the oil.

Im still looking for some pics anyone got ideas on where to mount one?

130 delivered from g-man.

I mounted mine in front of the I/C on my Golf. Using some strips of ally that I bought from B&Q, 20mm wide and about 4 mm thick.

I'd recommend doing the same on a 16V, behind the grille infront of the rad.

The other thing with a cooler, it increases the capacity of the oil system which also helps temps. There will be some oil caught in the cooler during oil changes unless you empty it out each time.

Gavin

There will be some oil caught in the cooler during oil changes unless you empty it out each time.

Gavin

One of the reasons Im thinking of mounting it sideways, parallel to the rad in front of the alternator.

It would be tricky to get at it every oil change if its mounted in front of the rad and if its sideways mounted it can be drained without taking the brackets off.

Has anyone else has put it in this place ?

I have one fitted too, it hasnt made much difference to the temps really, maybe about 2 or 3 degrees, ye rekon the thermostat is goosed?

whats your avg oil temp?

Brand new stat and water pump, getting 106 in traffic 96 on motorway, would prefer sub 90 all the time.

Don't modern synthetic and semi-synthetic oils have an optimum operating temperature though? In as much as they're designed to work best within a certain temp range, so surely if you cool the oil too much it'll not work as it's designed to...? oilman, where are you...?

Well the stat would prevent any engine wear from cold oil so you would only be using the cooler over 80 I would imagine most oil would have opt temp be between 80-95 degrees

I have one fitted too, it hasnt made much difference to the temps really, maybe about 2 or 3 degrees, ye rekon the thermostat is goosed?

Did you remove the std heat exchanger? If not then it probably won't make any difference.

Did you remove the std heat exchanger?

What’s that now? I thought it just involved joining the water pipes when replacing the cooler with the sandwich plate?

The heat exchanger is fitted above the oil filter, sounds like you did remove it if you had to join water pipes together.

Curious then, that your oil temps are not lower?? EDIT, that was for rossco.

The 16v doesn't generate as much heat as the G60, which might account for the smaller drop in temps. Mine easily knocked 20 degrees off daily running temps.

Also on a G60 the heat exchanger has to come out completely to get the oil filter off.

Gavin

Aye i removed all the old gubbins, joined the water pipes up with the mk1 hoses, all done properly, i recently drove 100 mile trip and by th etime i came into the city and stopped in traffic the oil temps were rollin about the 120-130 range, now thats high, its about 100 when im shiftin on but when i stop it starts to get pretty warm and in turn the water temp goes up too but i know they are linked, doesnt sound right does it??

Yeah that would make sense alright and its one of my main concerns as the cooler is not getting any airflow in traffic, where did you have it mounted?

i`ve got 13 (i think)row mocal on mine, was sometimes reaching 128c in traffic about 116 general running

left the original cooler in there too and my temps avr. 94 on motorway, 100 in town and 112 if stuck in traffic for a while

mine (from stealth) didnt come with a thermostat in it, when i rung them to ask they said they`d had a few probs (mocal) and werent putting thermostats in anymore

mines mounted on the lower (rusty) panel behind the lower grills on the bumper, i`ve found the water temp to be between 1/4 and 1/2 wheras it used to be half and above

takes a little longer for water/oil to heat up initially but havent looked back since having it fitted 18mnth ago

ben

I don’t have hot oil or water problems, my water barley goes over 80 and my oil sits at 96 on motorway and 104-106 in traffic. Ideally as I said Id like it to be under 90 for general use as I would be tracking the car occasionally.

Can I exspect a 10% decrease in oil temp with this cooler?