Sign in to follow this  
Mar5y

Have I paid too much??

Hello all,

Want to canvass some opinions please! I've had two BMWs since my last Corrado (a '93 L-plate modified VR6 - sold years ago with 128k on it). While comfortable and reliable, they have proved soul-less and lacking in any real appeal. Plus, running costs were astronomical. £1200 for a set of disks and pads, anyone?

To this end, I decided to go back to my favourite - the Corrado, but wanted an unmolested model. Totally standard with as few miles as possible.

I scoured the markets and came across a good (albeit expensive) example, which in a fit of excitement once I'd checked the provenance of the car, I duely bought in a private sale.

It's a K-registered Corrado VR6. The car is grey with cream leather. It has all the usual refinements, plus heated seats (nice).

Now here's the rub. I paid 7k for this little beauty. I'm the third owner, and having picked it up on Saturday, it's just passed 33,500 miles. There isn't a mark on it. The only issue appears to be a little water damage behind the wing mirrors.

Have I been ripped off, or have I made a good find?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum.

Good find I reckon, 33k is about as low as they come. Mileage isn't everything though and cars (especially VR's) don't really like sitting around or doing short trips but for 7k it sounds like a bargain. Let's see some pics!

firstly , you should have put this in general cars really , not members gallery

tbh the price you paid does sound too much but having said that its difficult evaluate a car from a few lines of description , i would have expected to pay about 5.5k for that sort of spec'd car

mate, if your happy with it then it's fine.

i think it's alot for an old car but it's not even broken in if there genuine miles and will last for many more if well looked after.

I'd say an umolseted example with that kind of milage can only go up in value as a classic. i bet it drives like a dream.

I think you get what you pay for if its genuinely mint and wants for nothing its a fair price.

For such a low miler and one with heated leathers i'd say you did ok there :)

£5.5k for a 33k VR6?? Yeah right! In the For Sale section your're getting 100k cars for that sort of money at the moment! :)

As long as the car has been serviced etc. it will probably be fine!

He's probably going to add pics that's why he's put it in Members Gallery..

I think you get what you pay for if its genuinely mint and wants for nothing its a fair price.

so no one ever gets ripped off ??

high price = high quality always ?

triggermyson, yeah and your also getting cars with leather for £400!!

and are those cars selling that you speak of ,.......... NO NO NO !!!!

OK !

no mention of pics only a question of value ! or can you read something else into it i cant see , with you experience of mundanely replying to threads

Come on guys - can't you have a discussion without falling out with each other?

personal attack !! lol how sensationalist is that !!

a car is worth what someone is willing to pay - its always been that way

A strong price doesn't guarantee a good car that is obvious. The point I was trying to make is that apparent bargain prices often can get you rough cars which need a fortune spending to get up to scratch, there are very few genuine bargains in life. I meant that a genine mint car can command a strong price. I have a mate who bought a C for £200 recently but as a G plate valver with worn seats some rot knackered paint, damaged locks, broken sunroof etc it is beyond economical sense to be anything but a banger.

Mar5y, I would say its a good buy, prices are up and down at the moment and we can always think in hindsight (maybe i should have haggled a bit more).

Don't dwell on it mate - you got a car that if you look after it well should give you another 200k :)

I think the market for Corrado's is such that the genuine mint low milers with 1 60+ year old female owner used once a week for going to pick up the pension or something will continue to command a high price but the middle of the road stuff (average miles, average owners, average condition) will be cheap.

As Jay says its worth paying whatever you feel is worth it. If £7,000 is what it takes to find a totally original mega low miler then so be it!

OSV, i see what your saying , it just didnt come over that way originally

yep i've travelled many miles to look at "mint" sheds :-(

if you plan to keep it, then the price doesnt really matter as long as you got what YOU want

if its a keeper then i would pay the extra tbh

its a tough call on low mileage cars as certain items such as bushes , mounts etc are still the same age and they do perish , a few lower mileage seem to suffer premature engine wear/failure for some reason

i think along the same lines as jay if you want a car and your happy with it then it doesnt matter either way, what £££ price you pay!

At the end of the day if you didnt want to pay that much for your C then you wouldnt of brought it!

When you see a cheaper C now its probably more in desperation of people needing to sell or not knowing what it is! (Then your just lucky)

as most forum members will tell you they've spent well more on there C over the years than what they paid for it! its our hobbies and its alot better one i.m.o than spending 5k down the pub in a year!

Just have a look at the members galleries!

Welcome to the forum! Andy

by the sounds of this car it's not an expensive "shed" it's got 33k on it heated leather and i really think if the guy likes the car it's good value.

there are cheap rrados out there with leather e.t.c. but 33k i'd reckon its a beut.

Think it has been said before, but I would be wary of an old car with such low mileage. to me says short trips and loadsa engine wear. But after a good service, should be pucka. Also watch out for perished rubber. It may not have been used but will still degrade over time. so fuel lines and water hoses could be a good replacement.

Thats a fair amount of money in one whack, but it sounds like a very nice example and if its your "dream vehicle" then who cares how much it cost.

Just enjoy the car and get your money's worth.