Sign in to follow this  
RACK

quick question????

I've just been ringing around to try and gather some parts for the engine rebuild for when my rotten C comes back for the JBS bodyshop.

The question is about a crossflow head, I've found one for sale for about £100. Too good to be true I thought. I'm guessing it would be stripped bare, but then I also got told that it would take some plumbing in and that I might have trouble finding a good cam to put in it?

Has anyone got any ideas on the matter?

Oh and how would you go about fitting it? well when I get my car back?? :( :(

Cheers ppl

It's a good job you don't charge for advice Darren, I'd owe you a fortune :lol:

I take it putting a crossflow head on will be expensive but worth it. As long as it's realiable, but would I be better getting the original head ported and putting a good cam in it, baring in mind I use it as a daily driver :? :?

imho it will be cheaper just port & polish you existing head but... that just wouldn't be any fun would it... :lol: :lol: i can t give a set figure for the cross flow conv yet cos it isn't finished... :lol:

I'll keep saving up my money then mate. :lol: :lol:

Looks like I should get a direct debit ready to start paying you for the advice and parts!

Cheers mate

P.S. How's the Front mount IC going? Did you manage to find anyone to bend the pipes?

im not 100% sure but i believe the crossflow head is pretty much the same as the regular 8v on G60s.. except that the intake is on the front. so this would mean that as far as flow goes... a well-ported crossflow won't *outflow* a well-ported PG 8v head... they should be about dead even.

i see two benefits to the crossflow head... one, the intake is on the front and this keeps the hot exhaust from heatsoaking the intake too bad... so the crossflow should provide a slightly cooler charge and two.. the intake is on the front so the intake path is shorter, faster boost build.

problem? like darren mentioned.. there is no VW/audi intake manifold that will clear the supercharger (thats why the crossflow seems to be more popular with turbo applications) and a custom manifold will have to be made up to work with the supercharger. i've thought about this conversion a LOT and i think it would make more sense to go all the way to a 16v or 20v head if you're going to go through the trouble of fabbing a custom intake manifold.

of course i've never done any of these conversions so this is all research/speculation.

A crossflow head allows bigger inlet and exhaust ports, something the regular head can only be stretched so far. Jereon Dik built a monster G60 engine some years ago with an X-flow head and he took the exhaust ports out to 50mm and it flowed roughly the same as a 16V head, with bigger valves. So I'd say an X-flow head a well ported regular head are most definitely not equal in terms of flow.

Kev