Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Who here has a 60mm/40mm drop - any scraping issues

Am I likely to have scraping issues with a 60mm(front)/40mm(rear) drop, such as going down slopes onto flat surfaces such as in car parks or speed bumps?

Cheers.

I have a few issues with the front splitter (early one so the deeper version) with some speed bumps, and coming out of some garages etc, nothing to worry about though, it's only a splitter at the end of the day. Mine's around 40mm all round on 17's.

Ah, but matth76, you have a Golf not a rado so anything said here won't apply...!

True.. what is the standard ride height of a corrado compared to a golf vr? Does a corrado have more ground clearance or less?

Matth76 my VR Golf was scraping all over the place with a 55mm drop on the front. Go just over 40mm & you'll be fine, even over speed bumps (an absolute nightmare on a 55mm drop - had 2 new sumps in 2 years & that was being really careful!).

I'd say a standard Corrado has even more clearance than a standard Golf.

Mat 76

Mine had a 40mm drop on the front and a tad less at the back. All speed bumps were a problem. I could not get into an NCP as the ramps were too steep.

I've gone back to standard and find it feels very high up; also you'll notice I said the lower setup had the front down, now it feels like Im pointing upto the sky. With the Standard setup I still manage to scrape the plastic skirt on some inclines, eg works carpark entrance.

I'd go for a 20mm drop. However, you'll find plenty of people love a 40-60 drop and get away with it just fine. Just avoid speedhump roads - lol ; oh and buy a small front skirt

As for the wheel arches, my 17"'s rubbed a small amount on full lock when low.

Just fitted and set up my coilovers and have been playing with the rideheight,i have set it up with a distance of 310mm between wheelarch and wheel centre......looks very low and i am not sure if i like it or not,no rubbing or catching but i am only running standard wheels at the moment,what drop do you guys have and am i measuring it correctly ?.

If you got to low the springs will just not be doing their job, you will have the suspension bouncing around on the bumpstops feeling like a piece of shit.

vwdubs - do you mean there is not enough travel and thus feels like there is no suspension. Or are you saying a harder low spring might force the car upwards faster unless you fit a firmer rebound damper?

red corrado - you'll get a firmer and bumpy ride from stiffer springs and if you swap those 15" wheels for aomthing bigger, eg 17", then the ride will get even more bouncy (due to a short stiff tyre wall).

My 40mm drop on 17" was like driving a go-kart, brilliant whilst on smooth tarmac but a spine breaker on the usual british country roads. Having said that, I did like the firm ride, the car felt solid. The standard springs and wheels give me a lot of feel but feels loose.

Mine's 35mm front and rear, and all speedbumps are a problem for me too (although usually just manageable at dead-slow speed). The cat heatshield scrapes from time to time, I wouldn't want to go any lower.

I've had a look at my golf's wheel arch and where the tyre sits. When the car is stationary on flat ground I have roughly measured out what I think 35mm drop would look like (with my index and middle finger lol...but on a ruler it roughtly makes 35mm) and I have to say there is still a huuuge gap left between the tyre and wheel arch. I think a corrado must have a lower stance as standard compared to a standard golf vr6 if a 35mm drop on a corrado causes speed bump issues.

Such a hard issue deciding what suspension to go for... I need to get it right though otherwise I'm wasting my money. The options I have so far for my golf vr6 are:

- gmax kit (highly recommended by The Phirm who are on a par with Stealth) which will provide a 35mm drop all round... very cheap but apparently extremely good quality with 3 year guarantee. £200.

- H&R cup kit ...very good quality manufacture but provides a very low 60/40 drop and harsh ride according to Stealth. Will definitely cause scraping issues apparently ...so this kit is a no no :( Although members on the vwvortex forum in the states highly rate this kit. So a bit confusing reports about this kit. £340.

- FK Highsport coilovers... Stealth couldn't say what quality these are as they don't deal with FK much. Very little reviews out there and very few people with them. Same price as the H&R cup kit at around £340 mark. Downside only 1 year guarantee...which says a lot.

- Again, FK, this time the Konigsport coilovers. Highly rated by several forum members on here and in the vr6oc site. Expensive at £450 mark. I don't need the fancy damper adjustment. I only need a ride height of 40mm all round... so this kit, although very good seems provide much more than I'll ever need. Again only a 1 year guarantee ...which aint so good.

My other option are FK or Weitec cup kits. Are these any good? All I need is a suspension kit that is relatively good quality, can be recommended by others and will provide good firm handling in tight corners, firm ride yet comfortable, and most importantly a drop of 40-45mm but no more.

Seems a tough one but if anyone can help please let me know. Cheers guys.

Matt