Sign in to follow this  
N_TaG

Steering rack 'clunk' (again)

Ok, here are the updated symptoms:

Very loud 'clunk' through the steering which occurs at two points from lock-to-lock.

- It can be felt through the steering column/car floor etc.

- Does not occur when the car is up on stands

- Both wheels visibly 'jerk' as the noise occurs

- Top mounts seem fine

- When looking at the rack, the whole thing jerks and moves under the mounting clamp at the point of the 'clunk'. Is this movement normal?

- At standstill, if the steering is lightly played with over the clunk point a slight grinding can be heard. Sometimes it almost sounds like a spring winding up and the clunk is it releasing.

- Cannot identify where the sound comes from. Being either side sounds exactly the same, horrible.

I really dont want to have to replace the rack if i dont have to as i'm in my final year at uni and really have other things to be doing!

Please help, thanks.

Is it possible to have rounded off a rack tooth? Im not sure how the rado hooks up. Sounds like a replacement of the rack job. You able to get it off ok?

I've read and re-read all the posts and have learnt alot, was just wondering if some clever mechanic could instantly diagnose my problems from the description.

Is it normal for the rack to move under the mounting clamp? Might it mean its just come loose?

What a freaky epidemic this is.....

It sounds like your pinion is jumping a tooth on the rack from what you've described, the visible wobble is clue to that. The rack (and indeed the pinion) would need to be very worn to cause that and it won't happen off the road since there's no load.

I think this is why the VR ZF racks have an 'unofficial' wear compensator, aka, pinion preload screw.

With a lot of us using 17s, heavier brakes etc I'm wondering if the racks are just starting to die prematurely?

Sounds like it is the rack I'm afraid as everything else has been checked by the sound of it.