Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

Power Steering Noise

Only when the car is warmed up do i hear the noise. Its only happened for the last few weeks but need the advice.

Everytime i turn the steering wheel to go round a corner etc. the power steering makes a whining noise and gets slightly louder the more lock i put on. New steering pump, possible leak or even not enough fluid??

Anyone help??

The other thing is when i have a passenger in the back passenger side a rubbing/grinding noise comes from under the car right where the exhaust sits.

My mate has told me mk2 golfs are bad for the exhausts rubbing and said it would be that.

Anyone know the cause if its any different??

Cheers

1) have you checked the fluid in the pas reservoir? is it within the marked levels? If yes, then check your belt on the pump - but I'd guess the pump itself is tired out. It should get worse when on full lock. If not, then top up! You'll kill the pump very quickly otherwise. If its a leak and the fluid just drains, then take off the pulley on the pump and remove the belt with it - this way yuou'll save your pump until the leak is fixed.

2) is the sound coming from the back of the car? If so, its the exhaust on the rear axle. Just try adjusting the fit of the exhaust.

Yep its from the back. Will get underneath and move it around a bit.

Gonna have a look at the power steering on the weekend.

Thanks _leon_

if youre driving it around - i'll look at it sooner rather than later. when my pump started to go i found it leasted maybe a week or two at the very most. check it as early as you can tbh.

welcome mate.