Sign in to follow this  
Danger Mouse

Window tint

Hey,

I am getting my windows tinted next Tuesday and was wondering about a slight problem first.

Iv noticed two "train track" like scratches on the driver and passenger door windows. My mate Biggrim, also has tints and also has the exact same scratches on his G60.

Is there anything I can cover the scratcher of badness with or any other solutions out there.

Rgards

DM

The scratches are from the seals, i take it there on the outside of the window - if not you'll have to get them sorted before there tinted else it will rip the film off!

I don't think you can to be honest - there won't be enough room for the glass to move freely and you could end up screwing up the electric window motors...

Would recomend buying new seals whilst you still can! (VW or GPC)

Hey,

I am getting my windows tinted next Tuesday and was wondering about a slight problem first.

Where are you getting the windows done? Im considering it for the future but Pentagon seem expensive.

Yeah mate Pentagon

Its booked in for Tuesday Morning

£250 midnight back 3 windows, smoke on the door windows and a midnight sunstrip

Pentagon is a little expensive, but I had my Golf done by them and they are worth it.

DM

£250 is actually a lot cheaper than I expected from Pentagon, was thinkin it would be more like £400.

Cheers :thumbleft:

He said it would be between 250 and 300.

when I went yesterday to book it in he said he would do it for 250 and I left a £50 deposit.

I know a couple of people who have tried it themselves and make a baw's up of it.

I would just leave it to the pros

Hope you get it sorted

DM

there is a specisal glass polish, not the Auto Glym stuff, a very special polish to take fine scratches out. I will try and find out what it is called and try that first.

I think they polish the windows with that stuff first anyway Rams. The thing is if the bit that caused the scratches is not dealt with, it will scrape the tint on the window like it has on mine. No point in spending £250 to get the front wondows ruined the first time you roll them down. I think I'll get the door card off and try find the problem before I get mine re-done so it doesn't happen again. The name of that polish would be great though cause the outside of the windows and headlamps can get done with it to help make it all look newer. Cheers mate 8)

biggrim, Theside windows will be easy to do, the only pain waindow to do lol, bad joke - would be the rear window. The top windscreen tint can be professionally done for £15. I wouldnt pay £250 for tints, I did my last car with my mum who is great at art so I thought she would be good at cutting the tints and to be honest, it was a bloody good job. Just seems a lot of money thats all.

The rear window you can do in 3 stages and use the lines to work from, the pros probably will do it in 2 or 3 stages?

If I were to tint my car as my avtar is made to look like it has tints - I would go for a light smoke all round to keep it looking subtle. Thats just my taste though. I had a MK2 Golf GT1 in Mystic blue - fully re painted and I took the tints off and it made the car look cleaner and classier. Play around with paint program and see what you think it will look like before you decide to go Midnight and lighter on teh front windows.

Im gonna do my tints myself, done em before and got no cracks but when doing one window i used the plastic smother thing with the kit and it scrathed the film so just used a cloth after that with soapy water ect, my C is quartz grey so im only going for a smoked look so it matchs up nicely with the paint work.

Beetlebug_2001, yeah, those plastic bits scratch the film, I just used that bit for poking down the sides or as a ruler.

It can be done for those of you who want a tinted car without having to pay out £250 plus.

Yeah just a case of using soapy water so u can move the film about, most companys who sell tints, also sell aplication kits 2 with full instructions, why not buy a roll first and try it out only a tenner or so plus a fiver for the application kit, could save u a few quid in the long run.

just to let you all know,

me and biggrim removed the doorcarfs and filed down the scratchers of badness, the window does not touch anything that has the potential to scratch.

I am going to get the windows tinted smoke all over on tuesday and now need not worry about the tind being ruined by badness.

Regards

DM

i honestly am quite happy to spend extra (even unnecessary) cash to ensure it is done properly.

I know a few people who have tried it and made a total pigs ear of it.

The extra money will be worth it in the end.

Regards

DM