Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Whistling G60!

Not sure whether this has been discussed before, but...

Had just about enough of the stupid whistle coming from my Rado G60 today that i bunged up the large vacuum hose going to nothing on the throttle body! (length of hose come from boost return) what a difference! no whistle at all! just supercharger sound and a little whoosh! wish i knew that about a year ago! it was beginning to do my head in!

All i did was blocked the flange that attaches the large rubber vacuum hose with sikaflex and hay presto no whistle anymore! is this an ok thing to do??

DSC00060.jpg

Dont take any notice of the arrow, the bit i totaly blocked off was the brass fitting at the bottom of the pic, if you get enough sikaflex / silacone inside it will go all the way through and you can wipe any excess from the inside of the throttle body of with your finger!

Put 6" length of pipe on here and your noise will dissapear... think blowing across a bottle :wink:

there was already a bit of 6" pipe on it?? even with that on it was still making the stupid noise :)

although it did have water in it?? which i am guessing was from the water injection or something, which may have an effect.

My first thought was to put a small bit of pipe on which i tried and it made it sound like a group a choir boys singing in a church.. so i ended up just blocking the whole thing off, seems to have cured it and seems to be much quieter now....

have a go at totally blocking it of mate, even with the long pipe blocked off it still made the noise on mine, i found the only solution was to fill the brass fitting all the way up with a sealant of some kind as mentioned above.

And if you have a pipe as short as it is in the diagram on the thread above then that will also make it whistle like mad, it needs to be a certain length.

will post a pic as soon as i am able to.

only slight worry on filling it is if the sealer falls out and finds it way intot hte charger

ive got to admit im not a fan of a bolt stuck in a piece of pipe..looks a bit shody

Its also possible to remove the brass sleeve and have the hole permently welded up.

the whistling doesnt bother me at all - i actually like it as its comical... every passenger always comments on it and has a chuckle ;)

That whistle is a funny thing, as it had me worried for some time, as I dodn't know what was causing it. Some of you may remember my thread back some time ago, asking for help on identifying what I called a funny squealing noise, after I had identified (or thought it identified) as stemming from the area of the engine bay, where my ABS and brake stuff is located (remember, I drive a proper Rado, a LHD :lol:).

When I visited G60Dub in Canterbuy last December with my Rado, his made the same noise, and I was immediately at rest that this sound wasn't something to worry about (was thinking faulty gearbox et al, made me bleed and refresh the fluid in the clutch cylinders, which was good, I suppose :lol:), and Darren form G-Werks then confirmed what the sound was from.

So, I'm just living with it, now that I know it's nothing to worry about. Just another sound to get used to when driving a G60 :lol:

Tempest

i didnt mind the whistle at first, i thought it was quite cool, but for some reason it was getting gradually louder and louder to the point i could hardly hear the engine and exhaust! :wink:

I made this set up on my charged valver mill,it doesn't eliminate the whistle compleatly but it's much better,more faint but still can be heard..

i had mine ali welded up. no more noise and once filed and smoothed it looks like it was never there, and no bloody noise..

agreed at first- wow whats that.

then its- bloody hell whats that.!

Yeah, have to agree i am all for the sound of the G60 engine etc, but the excess whistling was doing my head in.