Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

Crank pulley sheared off at the DX bolt

The crank pulley in my G60 sheared off at the bolt because the crank was damaged by the original worn pulley that was replaced about 6 months ago with a DX bolt and a new pulley.

At least its good news for those G60 owners who have fitted the DX bolt with thread lock - that sucker aint going nowhere!

What are my options - how much would a replacement engine cost, where would i get one from, would a 16V G60 be on the cards for not much more money?

R

That's a bitch mate,i personally never had that happen to me(i'm touching wood..) on my 16 valve 2.0 G60 engine i'm still running the original bolt,it has never been touched also on my old 8v motors i took the crankshaft bolt off a few times to change varios heads,experiment with turbos etc,again,never a problem.

I've got at least 2 full g60 engines in bits,most of which i don't need,if you want i can post off bits,pistons,cranks,cams,rods,I.shafts,even engine blocks,the only problem is postage thats quite steep.

It has bent the valve as well so i think a replacement G60 engine would be cheaper than stripping the existing one to replace a crankshaft and several / all off the valves

The only problem is i think the PG blocks are quite rare :roll:

Sheeet - how can you tell if the crank has been damaged by the pulley??

PG block is about £850 from VAG (exchange) with the head being about £550...

There is a chunk worn away form the end of the crank shaft Supercharged!

Can these engines be picked up 2nd hand (i just replaced all of the suspension inc bushes with Konis + H&Rs and fitted a new Milltek system so im skint) and from where?

R

id go for the vw block of possible...you see the odd pg engine for sale , but theyve all done around 100k miles so your probably going to have more issues further along the road

i've got a g60 head. std but been rebuilt by tsr at some point so would be in good nick. bought it as a spare if yours is damaged. then just replace the damaged piston-s.. or is the bore shot as well.?

All the 1781cc cranks are the same, PB KR etc. A scrap motor would fix you up for pennies.

A good time to get a flowed head on there? You can get PG motors for what I think is reasonable money. Plenty of folk have blown chargers which means the engines are somewhere.

Gavin

Its my only car so I need to get it back on the road ASAP. Money is also an issue.

Mechanic said that it would be cheaper to buy a new engine rather than replace the crank and the valves due to the labour cost for stripping it and the parts.

Would it be better / more cost effective in the long run to rebuild the bottom end - could there be any performance advantage in doing this (just to cheer myself up)?

R

rebuild the bottom end increasing your capacity and fitting a flowed head? ;) It is money that defines whats possible though. You could always try and get the work done over a longer period and buy a banger for 2 or 3 months. Yes it isn't ideal, but 2-3 months soon passes... Just an idea

Get another engine dropped in it. Rebuild yours with another crank and flog it to recoup some of your outlay.

Are the Golf Rallye engine and the Corrado G60 engines exactly the same becuae i can get a low mileage Rallye engine for decent money.

Will it be a straight fit, are there any performance differences?

R

The major components, head and block aren't interchangeable with the PG motor but if you stick the whole lump in then it's a goer!!

Don't bin the PG though, fix it up as a spare.

Gavin

OK, it looks like ive sourced a decently priced replacement G60 engine in Nottingham - now i just got to figure out a way to get it to Belfast!

I found a few engines at varying prices with different mileage, in your opinion would i be better spending more on a newer engine or is it all just a lottery (planning on fitting new gasgets and valve stem oil seals anyway)?

R