Sign in to follow this  
edd

Running with MAF disconnected!......updated 28/03/2005

update - well battery disconnected ECU reset again last night before driving home from work. so drove fine. Father had his Morris Minor dropped back home from having some work done so did him a favour and drove chap back to his workshops. Turns out next door workshop is a tuning place so got them to hook it up. Went through a simple diagnostic and it showed no faults whatsoever. Though it is obviously driving okay from reset anyway. I take it by this though i can probably eliminate a few things, because if they have failed they should show up immediatley .i.e. ECU issues some sensors etc. I was previously thinking it may have partly been a hall sender issue - would this show up on a scan.

Does this result seem like its even more likely to be the MAF?!

will go back when it starts muckin me about again and see if anything shows, any more thoughts now?!

If the ECU detects an error, it will log it and it'll show up next time you plug it into VAG-COM, so I'd wait til you've had the problem and then go back and hook it up to see what it says.

Also - is it noticably worse in damp weather - if so then it's very likely to be a cacky wiring issue...

Right so managed to destroy what i think is known as the isv noise damper whilst getting frusrated working on the engine in the dark last night. Ive had to bypass it. Is it necessary what exactly does it do!

EH

no its not necessary.

what does it do? hmmmm let me think....what would and ISV Noise Damper actually do........

lol

Well thought i might as well update. Having removed, cleaned and reinstalled everything air filter side of the throttle body and associated ISV pipework i have now been trouble free for 500+ miles. (usually started going kaputt about 80 miles after ECU reset)

For any of you who may have a similar situation occur double check this lot before forking out the outlandish costs for VAG parts.

having previously cleaned out the ISV and throttle body with carb cleaner to no avail i repeated the process but ensured i gave the associated a good grease with a spray on lube afterwards. (didnt have any lube before so didnt bother!!)

Removed MAF and also gave the element a bloody good spraying with carb cleaner.

Took off ISV noise damper and managed to completely destroy it in the process so that is now by-passed and sat in pieces in my footwell

Twisted the position of the MAF so that the connector was on top as apposed to at the side. I have a BMC fitted and the connector seemed to be resting against a bolt in the engine bay wall. I wondered if this may have been causing a dodgy connection to the MAF if there was any engine movement (though nothing to this effect was showing up on the VAG com scan).

Checked and cleaned the lambda connection in the engine bay. Though i dont believe this to be the root cause as i have had this intermittent error for a while, (way prior to the stalling issues).

My money is on the MAF clean, but could of been the lube of the ISV after its spring clean.

Anyway hope this helps, i was sh1t1n it for a while after being quoted £320+vat for MAF and £180+vat for dizzy (inc hall sender).

I reckon a sticky on "stalling issues - possible rectification" thread may be a good idea.

didn't get a lot of work done last week due to a lot of forum searching

Cheers for help chaps

Edd