Sign in to follow this  
zacon

2.0l 16V starting problems

I have a problem starting the engine on a Corrado 2.0 16V '92. It's only a problem sometimes, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the weather, sometimes it starts at once even if's really cold outside. I have never had the issue when the engine is warm, though.

When the problem occurs, the engine cranks fine, but doesn't fire.

I sometimes have to turn the key five or six times before the engine starts. When I finally get it running, the engine misfires frequently for a few seconds, then it starts running properly.

I never have any misfireing issues when driving.

I never smell gas in the car, so I suppose it's a fueling problem. I recently changed the in-tank pump. I don't really suspect the battery, as the engine starts so quick most of the time. I don't know the condition of the battery, but it looks fairly new.

Any ideas?

Mine likes to play that trick aswell and there never seems to be any common variables when it happens (temperature, rain, how long it's been sat). It's not the battery because it did it before the battery was replaced. The fuel pump always primes itself aswell so I doubt that's the problem.

Only happens once in maybe fifteen starts so I don't really worry about it, plus it runs perfectly well once it's going and has never stalled.

I did mention it to a mechanically minded friend though and he suggested the distributor may be on its way out.

yeah,id be inclined to think its ignition related too...

if it was something like a leaky injector or overfuelling due to incorrect set up etc,it would more than likely at least fire and attempt to start.

its worth checking the plugs/connections to coil/dizzy etc...and also maybe replacing the 3 senders on the side of the cylinder head.

they are all the same part and one of them gives signals to the ecu,just cant remember which one (thats why i say replace them all) only cheap. :)

as soon as you know its going to non start,whip a plug out and earth it to metal,and check for a good spark.

Neil.

Yes; the starter works, and the engine turns as supposed. I never checked for actual spark, but as I never smell any gas in the engine bay after a failed start I kind of ignored that possibilty.

I figured I'd connect a fuel pressure gauge and drive around with it for a while, but I really don't have a clue.

I seem to have a similar problem, but it startsfine when parked on the flat even when it has sat for a week , however I park on a hill at work with the engine facing down and sometimes when I crank her up it starts no probs, other times its as if the engine is already choked and it takes a few turns to catch, it clears and idles fine, strange, any thoughts?

You could well be losing fuel system pressure via either the fuel pump non-return valve or the fuel pressure accumulator. I'd start with fuel pressure tests.

I seem to have a similar problem, but it startsfine when parked on the flat even when it has sat for a week , however I park on a hill at work with the engine facing down and sometimes when I crank her up it starts no probs, other times its as if the engine is already choked and it takes a few turns to catch, it clears and idles fine, strange, any thoughts?

I used to think the same about my 1.8 16v. In the end the starting problems were all down to worn injectors. If your car has done more than 120k miles on the current injectors you could do worse than thinking about replacing them. £137 all in for the four.

I find it strange that I never have misfireing issues when driving, but I'm not that experienced. Especially if the problem is with fuel pressure or ignition.

I do however find it more logical that the problem is with the injectors. My car has a high mileage.

I talked with a friend of mine yesterday, and he told me he had some kind of instrument that would "see" whether an injector opened or not. I guess I could borrow that.

Theoretically you can test them with a glass jar. Pull each one out in turn and check the spray pattern. It should be obvious if any are not up to scratch.

My car never misfired when driving but had starting issues as you describe. Usually it'd start but misfire and run on two or three cylinders for several seconds before clearing itself.

Sorry not hi-jacking the thread but i am having all kind of problems with my 2.0ltr 16v wonder if it could be injector related? having just changed my manifold.....

mmm something else to check!

bcstudent running problems ... car starts fine runs for a couple of minutes and then all h#ll breaks loose engines looks like its going to jump out of the bay it then eventually dies.... you cannot keep it running even with foot hard to the floor!!

reaper - What do the engine revs do when you floor it at that moment?

From your comments I presume you can tell when its going to happen... so what are the tell-tale signs?

"looks as if its going to jump out the engine bay" - why? how?

I finally decided to buy a new set of injectors, since the problem was getting worse. The old injectors looked like they were really old.

Now I have no starting issues anymore, the engine always starts on the first turn. Thanks for all help.

It's very easy. They just pull out of the manifold and are screwed on to the fuel delivery pipe from the fuel distributor. It should only take five or ten minutes to change all four. Pushing them back into the manifold is the hardest part with the new o-rings fitted.

Don't be surprised if the car starts and dies a few times after replacing them. It sometimes takes a few tries to open an injector that's been seated for a long time.

so you'd deffinately recomend replacing them for £137 from gsf?

I have alot fo starting promlems and i think it may be related to the fueling of the engine, fuel pump seems to be priming ok.

I can't say for certain that new injectors will fix your problems. All I know is that my car used to start very badly if left for a couple of hours and would idle very high if caned for a while. Since replacing the injectors it starts and runs like a new one.