Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Electric window sticking

The drivers window gets stuck half way down. So I have to press the button again and it slowly goes down with a big effort. Same on the up motion. Any ideas of the cause - is it common?

And is it easy to fiddle with the mechanism?

Just I remember the old Golf stuff was all behind a plastic weather sheet and it was reluctant to stick back to the door-frame.

Either the window guides/seals are causing resistance or something is up with the mech. It might be worth lightly spraying the insides of the vertical parts of the window seal with a silicone lubricant, this used to free up windows on mk2 golfs when the seals had shrunk, but i think the main reason was tired motors.

Same as the mk2 the doors are sealed with a plastic sheet, its best to cut it open from the top and leave the bottom edge stuck on, then use gaffer tape so seal it all up. If there's not a perfect seal on the bottom edge, water will pour into the car when it rains!

Cheers Andy.

I suspect its the little old mechanism. Was worried the plastic would be like the mk2 I had, oh well; will try your surgeon cut-it-open-at-the-top idea. The actual seals around the window are good; nice furry inner edges not perished, opposed to the old mk2 where the bottom had shrunk and left a huge gap - too large for the holes to cope with. Its all fun & games.

:)

But do you know if the mechanism is the same as the mk2 :?: (ie simple)

Stu

Its a bit different to the mk2, better and stronger, don't think any of the parts are compatible. maybe it just needs greasing