Sign in to follow this  
edd

vr 8x16 RH FA's - opinions and will they fit

EDITED PREVIOUS THREAD TITLE - SEE BELOW FOR RIMS IN QUESTION

Well been using the search profusely but will still panic at ordering time if i dont have a specific response from someone in the know!!

Basically the banks showing its time for some new rims.

Running H&R +koni TA's and am very happy with them. dont intend to change to coillies

Personally love the idea of running some wide deepdish rims..Brocks, Borbet's etc.

What are the limits i can run without any immediate major work to arches etc. Would consider getting arches rolled at some point when the paints redone (6 months to a year) but the wheels must come before the paint!!

Sure a few of you must have been in this exact situation before

like the idea of 9x16 but am unsure if this is a) possible or b) would look okay with only a 40mm drop.

Any advise welcome

Edd

You could go OZ-Racing SuperTurismos, powder-coated and colour-coded, 8J x 17s, ET 38, and not have to touch the arches like me (I'm on H&R coilovers myself) :)

9x16 would look a bit wrong without a bigger drop IMO, you need the arches as close to the tires as possible to pull them off (the look, not the tyres!). Offset is also a factor in this, as you could have 7.5" wide rims which have a low offset and hit the arch :?

for referance, I had a set of 8x17's with an et of 32 on my old VR which was dropped 60mm. it 'looked' right at that height and the tyres only scuffed the arch liners over big bumps. I wouldnt go much lower than et32 and expect to get away with standard arches since my tyres (205/40's streched a little) only just cleared the inner lip when they caught.

I keep meaning to put those wheels up for sale, need to clean them up first though since they've been sat in the shed for a bit!

i have 9x16's on my C wth a 65/55 ish drop with no arch work to the front and just the return lips cut at the back (which is a DIY job) but the offset on a VR is different and thus the wheels would stick out more on yours meaning the tread might not be contained within the arch and this giving you probs if the cops were to take a closer look, and that there is a greater chance of needing work done. M15 VW is running 9's at the back with a 60mm drop and no probs - she also has a set of 5x100, 9x16 Borbet A's for sale which I believe are the same offset and might fit... http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38921

You'll be able to run 9x16 on that drop, but as it's a VR you'll need an offset of around ET25 for them to sit right. However, 9x16s do really need more of a drop than 40mm to look right. I have the identical suspension with 7.5x17 ET33 and they sit well within the arches and look pretty good imo! Will be fitting 8.5x17 ET35 soon, and going lower on coilies so I reckon some arch clearancing may be needed... ;)

Edd, Brock B1s get my vote if you're a dishy kind of guy, I love those rims :-)

Sorry, O/T, but LicklePaulie, your front wheels look like they're protude from the arch slightly? The only reason I mention that is I've got the same problem myself with the AP Racing brakes. The Bell is 15mm thick and pushes the wheels out 8mm further than I'd like (final ET being 27). What offsets are available for the Super T's as I hear they're great for caliper clearance? The other wheel I was thinking of is the Compy MO on a 6.5x16 ET 44 as it only weighs 17lbs and they have good spoke clearance too.

I think the anthracite looks cool on your car, quite tempted!

kevHaywire, you got the AP`s on then?

any picks?

i wish i had to pick my wheels to fit around my brakes 8)

and yes dark superT`s would look cool on your car, a little showie of what you got under the bonnet!!!

Kev what was the final drop you achieved on you TA and H&R setup i seem to remember you had some lowering caps up front and you can obviously drop the rears slight on the circlips to match.

My springs have been on a year now and im wondering what the lowest drop i can get is.

I do actually have a set of lowering caps from Venom that i was going to put on the front when i bought the suspension setup but i think they sent the wrong ones, they had a rounded top to them that and it didn't look like the top mount bearing would sit on it properly!! (if that makes sense).

Anyway i digress

How about 8 x 16 folks

Edd

Quite like these but unsure about the offset and not that keen on the rim bolts, why these so much cheaper than the likes of MWZ1's.

Edd

Sorry, O/T, but LicklePaulie, your front wheels look like they're protude from the arch slightly? The only reason I mention that is I've got the same problem myself with the AP Racing brakes. The Bell is 15mm thick and pushes the wheels out 8mm further than I'd like (final ET being 27). What offsets are available for the Super T's as I hear they're great for caliper clearance?

Trying not to hijack thread but answer question :roll: the fit is rather precise Kev - they sit within the arches at the top but extend beyond them as they swathe in. The easiest way to show this is to offer another pic...

I think the anthracite looks cool on your car, quite tempted!
Thank you kind sir.. :notworthy: