Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

SMOKEY G60 ENGINE

when i get a bit heavy with my right foot there seems to be a bit of smoke kickin out and i can smell what i think is burnin oil,anyone got any ideas,still not got round to checkin my boost hose to see if the oil seals in my charger are fecked,someone said it sounds like it could be my valve stem oil seals?i'm a bit sh!t when it comes to mechanics so anybody got an info on what it could be and the likely cost of gettin it sorted cheers peeps

I would recomend a leak down test to establish the wear in your engine before panicing to much.

g-man, could u give me a bit more info on whats involved in this,is it a garage job,i'm gettin tempted into drivin down to yours and leavin her there and just let u sort everythin out no matter how long it takes

You can also do a compression test (gauge available from most autofactor shops, eg. by Gunson): First do a dry test on each cylinder (attach device to spark plug hole), if there is a substantial difference between all 4 cylinders (of more than 2 bar or so), then do another wet test (squirt a bit of oil into the spark plug hole before attaching the gauge). If the difference is gone, the relevant cylinder with a low(er) compression value has worn piston rings, else it's likely to be the valve stem seals of that cylinder.

HTH,

Tempest