Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

New owner advice

Well, had my G60 for less than a week, and tonight was my first cahnce since the weekend to have a blast.

Anyway, I've noticed on gear change (depressing clutch) following hard acceleration I get a funny sensation from the offside front wheel as though I've just skipped on a pot hole or road imperfection accompanied with a knock sound. When I got home, I noticed the near side front brake was binding (disk almost glowing).

I don't mind sorting the calipers out - the car has been standing for a while so I expect niggles, but is it possible that the knock / skip sensation from the offside is connected with the binding nearside brake or is it something completely different?

Please help!

Mate ! I have the same problem. Nothing to do with the brakes. The wifes raddo has been doing it for a while. We were told by the main dealer that it was a cv joint. That was replaced and the bugger is still doing it. The chaps on this forum are good one of them can point us in the right direction, cus I am stumped.

siezed rear calipers are a very common problem on the corrado, i have gone the same route as a few on here and swapped them for golf mk4 items, do a search for mk4 callipers and you should find a lot of info on it.

the knocking and loose sensation on the front offside could be a bottom ball joint, top mount, or worn bottom arm bushes, you would be better off changing all of those parts anyway if you dont know when they where last done.

if you remove the plastic cap on top of the suspension top mount there should be no more than about a finger thickness between the metal top plate and the body of the car, any more than that or if one is higher than the other with the wheels straight then that usually means the top mount is shot anyway.

Cheers both,

How difficult is it to change the bushes and top mount? Ball joints look fine with no play.

Does anyone have a picture / diagram of the lower arm and respective bushes?

Also best place to get 'em from?

if you dont mind using non oem parts then it works out cheaper and easier to buy a pair of lower arms with the bushes allready fitted.

euro car parts

ball joints £6.83 each (might as well change them as it will save doing them at a later date)

top mounts £11.54 each (may be better to get them from vw as general opinion is they are better but double the price)

bottom wishbones with pre fitted bushes £14.44 each

you might need a set of spring compressors, and a tool for removing the threaded tube that sits under the top nut of the top mounts and also a deep socket and allen key to remove the top nut, unless you know someone with an air ratchet to spin the nuts off.

Sorry its off topic, what colour is your car mate? Is it a Dark car, J Reg? If so, that was me you saw the other night in the VW Beetle lookin at your car. (On Welford Rd)

Well, I managed to free up the sticking front caliper with a bit of TLC and has been fine since.

The bang / knock thing appears to occuring when you take your foot off the gas. Had a look underneath and I note that the car has a new front cross member and front mount!

But the rear mounts look very tired...

Well, had another look underneath again today and I couldn't believe what I saw...

New cross member and front mount........ but no fixing bolts to secure the mount to the chassis

Two new bolts and we are now flying!

Seriously though, how can someone forget something like this after taking all the time to fit a new sub frame????

Beyond belief