Sign in to follow this  
Derb

Busted g60

So my supercharger blew apart in my 91 Corrado and took the engine with it. Rebuild may be possible, but could run in the $7000 CAD range. I have a lot of expensive aftermarket parts and work done on the car so I want to get it up and running again. I figure if I'm going to spend the cash I might as well make it even faster than before. What do you guys suggest? If I go with a turbo conversion what kind of engines can I drop in there? How big can I go? Any help would be awesome. The faster I can make it the better. Thanks!

Here's some of the current facts:

§ 91 VW Corrado G60(not anymore)

§ ~130,000 km

§ 1.8 l supercharged, with Autothority Stage 2 chip/pulley/fuel pressure regulator, eurosport steel intercooler tubes, FK suspension, Brembo drilled brake disks with Repco MetalMaster pads, K&N filter, TT solid motor mount, Autotech light flywheel and Sachs sport clutch, Euro Hella headlights, SuperSprint stainless exhaust with new catalytic converter

§ About 200 hp in current (old) form

§ Synthetic oil since new, timing belt and upgraded connecting rod bearings installed last year, new Optima battery.

How badly did it take the engine out? There's a few guys here running turbos on their 8V blocks and getting good power and reliability to boot!

EDIT: posted by gradeAfailure :oops: forgot i wasn't signed in as me!

Compression test had 2 cylinders getting 0 while 2 got about 20-30%. I think the supercharger pieces got ingested ino the engine. That give any indication?

i think you will need to take the head off and inspect the bores and pistons first. it sounds like you will need at least a rebuild.

keeping and 8V will be cheaper to sort out than say a VR if you go for an engine swap/

if you want to go down the turbo route then you will need to strenghen the bottom end anyway, so a rebuild will be the first thing.

when mine blew i found exactly what was damaged then set about sorting out what i wanted to do. my advice is to get the engine to a stage where it wont be the weak link, then worry about what sort of forced induction you want