Sign in to follow this  
heliosjim

Misfire when warm-1800 16v.

Done a search for this and nothing sounds similar.........

Start the car from cold, runs, drives, accelerates no problems.....

When warm and under hard acceleration, @ approx 4k the car seems to miss and hold back, under gentle throttle this doesnt occur.

The warmer the car gets, eg.stood running for a while the worse the misfire gets and occurs lower down the rev range, say@3k.

Ive just bought the car so dont know too much about it other than its filthy and needs some TLC but it appears to have a new dizzy. Everything i do to the car makes it better so its quite satisfying :)

cheers in advance for any advice

jim

Could be either ignition timing or weak fuel mixture......or even both.

Could also be a number of other things but the two i have stated are the most common

for the fault you describe.

I can't see it being a fuel problem on a 1.8 16v since the cold-running fuel demand is being met. I'd start with an ignition service and work from there, i.e. new plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and coil.

Thanks guys, service it is then!

I'll let you know if this sorts it.(The leads dont look great)

Hey "bcstudent" (Tips hat to a fellow Norfolk boy)

I think ive sorted the "misfire".

Went to my local GSF in Norwich and got new leads, plugs, rotor arm, cap and to top it off four injector seals.

I mentioned before that the dizzy looked new, well the cap and plugs didnt look too bad either, but when i tried to remove the coil lead to change it, the top of the coil came off with it!-Oil poured out from it and i thought "YES" thats the problem.

Took it for a drive and all was fine then after 1 mile it chugged a bit and was running very lumpy.

*ollocks i thought and dipped the clutch and the engine stalled.

As the car was still rolling i dropped the clutch and it started again, it sounded quite rough again so i floored the throttle and revved the nuts of it and all of a sudden, it cleared itself!?

Its been okay ever since and im chuffed, ive since added some injector cleaner to the tank-alls well, for now..........