Sign in to follow this  
HiAsAKite

Oil in the VR6....

I have been looking at VR6 for sale at a dealer, and have just found out from speaking to the previous owner that he topped the oil up 'when the light came on'......

The engine seems fairly sound other wise interms of feel of power, no blue smoke etc... ...but still worrying that it was owned by someone who didn't know how to/ or couldn't be bothered to use the dipstick...

Should I walk away or may this still be ok..

Thanks,

Al.

Yeah,... quite.... I was a bit shocked

Not the basis for a loving relationship between man and machine really is it?

So I guess you're voting for the 'walk away option'..

Hi,

Id steer clear mate - sounds like the previous owner was a bit of a cowboy and should of stuck to riding his horse!

+ you dont know what he was re-filling it with! :( Probably the same oil he used for hiw lawn mower! - engine could have alot of wear on it beacuse of this and remember the oil light only comes on when the thing is practically bone dry.

There are loads out there mate so have alook at some others....

3K, left hand drive though from a dealer who took in part exchange. Been in this country for about 4 years, imported from Germany before by its owner (who used to be in Germany).

92K miles on the clock (147K km)

Service history goes back to when it was in Germany (including a few service receipts from then)......

Looks the dogs danglies, nice body work, sounds the dogs danglies, shifts like the dogs danglies, nothing bad coming out the exhaust, ........ but then again a new VR6 block won't be cheap.

[EDIT: and I have already gone through the experience of reconning an engine in one car already!]

However I managed to get the previous owners number, (the one who part exchanged it), phoned him up, started talking about servicing etc and he said that it won't go all the way between services without a top up.. and that he used to top it up when the light came...

Everything about the car looks perfect... except I'm not 100% about how its been looked after..

Thoughts......?

A bit off-topic, but, when the radiator pierced a pipe to the oil cooler in my old Pug 205 1.9 GTi, I only noticed when the oil light came on :shock:

Opened the bonnet and saw where the oil had gone - all over the engine :shock:

That was when it had about 80k miles on it.

All I did was fix the pipe and fill up the oil again - it ran perfectly OK after that and had 127k miles on it when I sold it with no further problems!!! Who needs oil !!!