Sign in to follow this  
Andi

Corrado Mk4-Golf-Reverse style white dials (old thread)

INVOLVED GROUP BUYERS ONLY: Would you like white dials by day, or black dials?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. INVOLVED GROUP BUYERS ONLY: Would you like white dials by day, or black dials?

• White by day / Black by night
    • Black by day / Black by night

Still 4 places yet to fill - and we still need an agreeable solution to the lighting problem....

the needles on newer clocks are see through and are lit up by a cluster of led's at the base. i also cant get new needles off but the older ones come off easily. they also look like different fixings.

I'm sure you may have thought of this and I could be highlighting my ignorance here, would the new dials not thread over the needles and thus eliminate the need to remove them ??

Andi - add me to the list, I'll have a set of those as well

Its not the fitting that's the problem - its lighting the needles in the dark. They are currently front-lit - but with these dials, if you leave the front-lighting in place, you will loose the night-glo effect.

Hence requiring some other way of lighting the needles.

i think if u can...attach a tiny 3mm or less neon at the base of the needle so light can pass up it...but thats a silly idea cos it'll spin and wires would be needed.

cant ppl just do it front lit?? and dim it down enough or remove 2 of the bulbs and just have 1 at the top lighting it.

i have it!!! why not use UV light! and paint the needles with glow in the dark paint or UV paint..so they glow brght orange.

UV led's are available too..

UV has been mentionned before, if you read the thread ;)

I think that is the only option... so next question - cheapest place for about 100 UV LEDs compatible with the holder in the Corrado?

I'd be happy just to paint my needles a pale blue/white colour. They'd be visible day and night then.

I have the soulution to the needle problem scrape the needle clear and leave it and when you get the dials made up get them to add a small blue ring around the inside of the dial where the needle attaches this would illuminate the needle when switched on

stevemac: I doubt you'd see them! Remember the background would be black at night and on a dark road you'd have no light to make even a white needle visible.

willmason: the Corrado needles are not designed to be lit from behind, therefore the prism does not extend to the centre hole. The centres are just black plastic. Nice idea, but I don't think it would work.

can they not make see through needles for us guys?? :lol:

sorry andi..i read that post on using UV...its best i think.

I'm in the process of resoldering my bulb holders with bright blue 3mm leds and resistors to match...sure i can't dim the clock pod now, but who cares...the clocks will look cool.

stevemac, When im talking about older needles, i meant the ones on my G60, when i say new, i mean the ones i have in the MK4 Golf 1.8T clocks i have sitting next to me,..... Someone asked if the needles would fit. im saying no to that. As for Corrado needles in general, they should all come off easily enough. you also wont see your needles if you paint them, you must light them up. i have had white needles and now have red needles. i have blue lighting, had green etc... and had bulbs blow too. they must light.

As it is, when i mentioned the UV lightidea, it was cause id thought about doing it to mine any way. I am now very confident it will work. i have seen a pic of this. and im sorry, but no, i cant find it either... :oops:

I dont even think you'd need led's, maybe you can buy something suitable from a Lighting shop? thats where i got my coloured filters from and they might have something that can be used as blacklight is used in alot of clubs. As for the paint. get some from your local polis station :D

Best to really test that though, cause im not sure what colour the ink lights up and if its different for different inks/paints etc...

Hiya!

You can get different colour blacklight paints. They're available in different colours (in normal light) and can be a totally different colour when shown in black light. You can get it at most good gadget shops and party type places and I think even Maplins sells it.

The problem would be getting a decent UV light in the dash pod which wouldn't ruin the effect of the backlit dials...

I'll have a look around as this is the kind of thing that some of my mates who run clubs will have a lot of experience with... 8) (I used to work for a Dance radio station and have done alsorts of odd things with lighting over the years!)

I definately think that the UV light + black light reactive paint on the needles is the way to go with this... Watch this space... I've got some broken MKI golf clocks that I'll have a play with and see what I can come up with... :) (as you can tell, I REALLY want a set of these dials! :lol: )

Nice one, Henny!

We all await your findings with baited breath!

Nice one, Henny!

We all await your findings with baited breath!

Pile the pressure on, why not Andi?!?! :lol:

I'll do me best to see what I can find out for ya all! 8)

You'll have to excuse me, I've been out on the p!ss 'cos it was me B'day yesterday and it's the first night out my mates could meka! :D :roll: :lol:

Andi

what will everybody be going for in looks ? Like white/black backgrounds,signatures, kph/mph ,font

and other bits

just like to know the end result :D

Hmmm :mrgreen: cant wait

and also...to add to that. how many have we got DEFINATELY buying a set?

and what is the payment for them...i can't wait either! :lol:

I was in Maplins today asking about UV lighting.

UV Leds are available, but at £49.95 EACH, I think we'll skip that idea.

As for the strip, they do a 30cm UV strip, which includes a transformer to drop it to 12volts (meant for a PC) and they're £6.99ea.

If I buy 50 of these, I can get them for ~£6.50ea but that is going to put the price up of each 'set' by £13.... I haven't looked further into a cheaper source of these yet! Lets hope I can find one. And, I'm not sure if 30cm / 12inches is going to be too long for the guage pod... (Bit late for me to pop to the car and measure mi' pod right now..)

Yes, the guages will be in MPH, with a smaller inner ring for KM/H. The general consensus seems to be white dials in the day, and black dials with majority blue and occasional red illumination. Font should be very similar to the original dials, but may look better as the new-style VW font (we'll see what they design), as well as the Corrado logo on the rev. counter.

I will not force people to buy if they don't like the design! Once the payment is received, the manufacturers will send images and designs for us to approve. So don't worry too much about it. I hope you'll all like 'em though :) I'll see if I can get one of them involved in this thread too to let us all know. We'll have to see.

The costings, payment options and people involved are still listed on the very first post of this thread.

Andi? White dials + UV light = VERY BRIGHT dials at night... :? :shock: :roll:

I thought that the point of the UV was that the dials were black so that they wouldn't shine up in the UV light and that the needle will have a coat of UV sensitive paint so that it WILL shine at night... The lettering wouldn't matter due to the back lighting which are the whole point of these dials...

Have I got some wires crossed here, or has no-one else spotted this? :?

Andi? White dials + UV light = VERY BRIGHT dials at night...

That's what I thought too - It'll be like a white T-shirt in a nightclub :p :lol:

I think the guys on the Vortex site found that a 9 inch tube fitted well, but i've no idea where to buy one from :?

Cheers

Mark

I've had a couple of new ideas about glow in the dark needles... I've found some paint that continues to glow quite brightly for over 8 hours after complete darkness... It's also available in different colours too, but the colours that last the longest are a greeny yellow (usual glow in the dark colour) and a bluey-green colour that looks rather cool. Both are clear in normal light so that you can have your needles in any colour you want and just paint a layer of this over the top. I'm in talks with the company to get a sample to see if it works. I came up with a daft idea of having a light in the front of the instruments with a small switch that you can turn on for a minute or two which will re-charge the glow if your car has been parked somewhere dark for over 8 hours, but I don't know how practical that will be...

I'll let you know when I get the sample and put some photos up... 8)