Sign in to follow this  
James sprinter

MFA Issues - Clock resetting on ignition!

Well as a CF Virgin, here goes!

I have a fault with my corrado where the clock resets itself when I turn the ignition to start the car. When this happens the trip odometer and MFA info also resets, everything goes to zero's! The main odometer is not affected though and still kicks at 113k. :shock:

Strangely this resetting only happens at the point of ignition and other than that the clock and trip odo are perfectly accurate, also it's a random fault and only happens on say roughly every 10th ignition!

I dont think the corrado has a back up battery for the MFA? all cabin lights (including glove work) and although there's only a wanky halfords battery under the bonnet I've never had power problems

Anyone had this problem and found a solution?

By the way it's a 91, 1.8L 16v.

Cheers in advance :cyclops2:

Yeh, had read on a Corrado buyers guide to watch for dodgy MFA's as an indicator for Clocking. But then I've had her for 4 months now and she was good as gold up until a couple of weeks ago!?!?! So not so sure.

Does anyone have any experience of how to get this fixed? It's just a pain having to input the time once a week! :(

i have a similar problem but sometimes it resets when i crank the engine and sometimes when i swithch the ignition on. no real pattern though.

i dont think its a "clocking problem" though ive had my g 60 for 7 years and it only started doing it about a year ago. ive also tried replacing the ignition switch (electrical only) but still no good. ripping the dash and mfa apart is too drastic so i just live with it.

id love someone to come up with a cheap fix though......heres hoping :?

It probably part of the Dry Solder dyndrome thats affecting my speedo and Rev counter too.... Ill have to change the printed circuit board at somepoint. Try switching the headlights on before you even stick in a key, that can do it on mine too.

Dont think it has anything to do with it being clocked though. The Mileage is stored in the speedo, not the MFA.

Dont think it has anything to do with it being clocked though. The Mileage is stored in the speedo, not the MFA.

I tend to agree... From someone who's got a clocked 'rado (-110,000 miles clocked! :shock: ) take it from me that the MFA will either work or not work when the car's been clocked badly and that the rev counter tends to be the one to suffer... I don't know why that is, but it's also true with MKII golf GTIs as well... :roll:

I'd get the earths tested/changed and see if that helps, or even possibly check the wiring on it's way through the bulkhead from the engine bay... Someone mentioned that they had speedo problems 'cos one of the waterpipe springclips had nicked the wiring loom from the engine... I admit that this is a long shot, but there's so many things that it could be...

My other bet would be as Dubster82 said, a dry solder joint on the circuit board on the dash clocks... there seems to be more and more people finding these on their Cs that I'm going to strip mine out and re-solder the lot just to be sure! :lol:

its not as eay as it sounds...... unless your a pro, forget it. I phoned a tv repair shop about it and they werent keen. imm going to check the wiring and earths and get a new circuit board, just to be safe....:lol:

its not as eay as it sounds...... unless your a pro, forget it. I phoned a tv repair shop about it and they werent keen. imm going to check the wiring and earths and get a new circuit board, just to be safe....:lol:

I'm a broadcast engineer by trade and I've soldered some stuff that most people wouldn't believe could be fixed with a standard soldering iron! :lol:

Surface mount solder repairs used to be a speciality of mine... As long as I can make out both ends of the thing I'm soldering, I can usually do it!

Thanks for the warning though! 8)

If your clock reset when you start your car, then there are two possible problems I can think of.

1. When you run your starter it draws a lot of current , thus stressing the ground cable. If you have a bad or faulty ground off the battery to frame then it could cause your car to rest.

2. There is a circuit that reduces the electrical load when starting. This circuit temporary removes power, like the headlights, while the starter is turning over. Although this is a factory circuit and isn't wired to anything that requires memory.

I would check your grounds, start with the one from the battery. I had the same problem on my 90 G60. The radio and clock would reset occassionaly with the start of the car.

Brian

Had exactly the same problem, and found fuse had blown.Everytime i switched the ignition, it went back oo.oo am but the mileage was correct, i changed the fuse for the dash ,clock and light and it worked fine for evermore, amen... :D

High mileage 'Cs do have a problem especially if they have the old (pre-July 93 instrument pod and flex circuit board. Check your connections from the instrument pod to earth and also to the fuse box. Trace carefully each connection and use switch cleaner spray over the flexible circuit panel. Spray the contacts with switch cleaning spray. It may clear dust build up.

Beyond this you need the help of someone who is used to debugging electronic kit, as they need to check each contact on the circuit panel and either find the naff one or the supply side protection diode on the board that coud be breaking down.

It may be worthwhile is to buy a second hand cluster and if you have the nerve, swap the MFA control daughter board. Either way without the assistance of someone who is used to debugging electronics it will be difficult to sort out. I'm not hopeful. If the switch cleaner trick does not work, you should start searching for a replacement cluster or a good sparky.