Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

Won't start - alarm goes off instead

Hi guys

After 9 years or so of virtually trouble-free Corrado ownership I think the old girl is starting to play up on me. :(

Just got her back from The Phirm freshly serviced and with the major coolant leak I had sorted and now only 3 days later I think the starter motor is playing up.

For the past two days there has been a worrying graunching sound when I start the car that stops a few seconds after the engine has fired, which would be consistent with the time it takes for the starter motor to disengage.

Then this morning I got into the car to go to work, turned the key, and instead of starting the alarm immediately went off. I reset everything and tried again and the same thing happened at which point I took the TVR to work instead (which is ironic given the reputation of TVRs for unreliability ;))

Before I took the car to The Phirm it had a totally flat battery as it had been sat unused for about a month, but I charged the battery before use. It is possible that the battery is on the way out, I guess, but I'm still confused as to why the alarm would choose to go off like that.

So, does anyone have an ideas, suggestions or could point me at any existing threads that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance

Jon

It does sound like it could at least be the battery. I left the lights on my old Corrado (who hasn't!) a few times and when I came back to the car I could get in it ok with the central locking but when I tried to start it the alarm would just go off instead. It would also sort of try and turn over very reluctantly..

Might be worth just connecting up some jump leads off one of your other motors and seeing what happens when you try and turn over the VR!

Get a voltmeter on the battery. Anything below 12v means it's probably too low to turn the engine over. The alarm probably goes off because the voltage drops too far - many of them detect things like that.

If so, give it a nice slow trickle charge for 24 hours at 1 amp or so and you might resurrect it. If it's still low, or only holds charge for a day or two once fully charged, then chances are it's dead.

Lead acid batteries don't handle being left discharged for long periods of time. The electrodes sulphate up, making it unable to deliver current next time you charge it.

The alarms I've had detect whether the battery has been disconnected (or volts drop too low) and set the battery backed up siren off.

I've had Halfords do a free battery load test in the past to make sure it is the battery. It may appear to have the correct volts but not enough current to back it up.

Yes, I've been thinking it may be the battery too - I suspected that the alarm going off was due to voltage drop but I did wonder whether the voltage drop was due to a problem in the starter motor. Lets hope not.

It was a 16A fast charge I gave the car last week before it went in to The Phirm and that was only for a few hours. Maybe, as you say Matt, an overnight 2A trickle charge / deep cycle recharge may be in order especially as the battery was pretty damn flat when I started charging.

I'll also get the voltmeter on it as suggested.

Lead acid batteries don't handle being left discharged for long periods of time. The electrodes sulphate up, making it unable to deliver current next time you charge it.

Good point - it was sitting in a sorry state for a month or so whilst I decided what to do about the various issuse with the car.

(I blame my current client being only 20mins away meaning I drive the TVR to work too much ;))

I think I may pop up to CostCo at lunchtime and get a Bosch Silver as a replacement battery - the car is due a new battery anyway and the Halfords battery (I know, I know) that is on there has done 5 or 6 years which is pretty good really.

Does anyone have the exact specs of battery to get to hand please?

Dunno the exact model number, but get some approx dimensions, make sure it has the right battery posts and get the 64Ah one and you won't be far wrong.

The halfords battery load tester is an evil piece of kit. Essentially it just dumps current through a fat resistor and measures the voltage drop under this (massive) current load... You can simulate the same thing with a volt meter and trying to turn the starter..

That's the trouble - I'm in the TVR today and I want to get it at lunchtime. Makes it a bit difficult to check the existing battery. ;)

I think I'll just cross my fingers and hope that the Corrado is listed on the booklet there that helps you choose the right battery.

Risky, but unless someone can help before lunchtime today then it could be my best bet.

(I've tried a google search but haven't come up with anything yet. :()

It'll be the same model as the Golf VR6 battery, and the Passat VR6.. If there's a booklet I'm sure you'll find it.

It'll be the same model as the Golf VR6 battery, and the Passat VR6.. If there's a booklet I'm sure you'll find it.

Thanks Matt - that's encouraging. I'll probably be OK in that case. :)

BTW, according to my records I last changed the battery in March 2000. That's pretty good going, especially for a £55 Halfords battery.

Looking at Halfords' Store Locator there's a branch just up the road in Winnersh. Maybe I'll call in there on the way to Costco and perhaps buy another Halfords battery or go on to Costco depending on how I feel.

(You've got to admit that 'Bosch' looks better in the engine bay than 'Halfords' though :))

(You've got to admit that 'Bosch' looks better in the engine bay than 'Halfords' though Smile)

It does but the Halfords one fits the original jacket...

Like anyone has the original jacket on a ten year old car ..?

And anyway, why wouldn't the bosch fit?

Like anyone has the original jacket on a ten year old car ..?

I have. But then again, I have had the car since it was only 6 months old. :)

(I've lost the spark plug tool that clips to the bonnet stay though)

Surely you must be bored by now? ;)

You'd think so, but I just can't bear to let the old girl go. :)

I got the Halfords Calcium battery in the end, mainly because Halfords are closer and I didn't want to spend valuable billable time driving all the way over to Reading. Besides, the last one lasted for 6 years so they can't be too bad. :)

Cost £75. I suspect the Bosch Silver at Costco might have been cheaper (they were a stunningly good price compared to retail last time I looked) but if you factor billable time in then the saving is reduced.

I'll fit it this evening and see how we go.

Not worrying about billable time, I'm not going to argue, but I can tell you that the Bosch Silver would be £45 from Costco. £38 if you only want the 54Ah one.

Not worrying about billable time, I'm not going to argue, but I can tell you that the Bosch Silver would be £45 from Costco. £38 if you only want the 54Ah one.

Arsebiscuits - that's quite a difference. Oh well, it's bought now so best not to dwell on it. :oops:

Got a bit of a problem changing the battery over though. The bastard nut that holds the battery clamp in place has rusted solid, which I guess is hardly surprising given that it hasn't been disturbed for 6 years.

I've tried 3-in-1 Penetrating Spray but it won't budge and I'm very concerned about rounding the bolt head.

I think I may have to pop out and buy one of those "Gator Grip" (or equivalent) universal sockets - the ones with the pins that mould to the shape of the socket. I can't think what else to do. :(

Suggestions, anyone? :confused4:

its a 13mm is it not?? if so grab yourself a 1/2 inch socket and wack it on, it is a knats boll@:? smaller it usually does the trick,

its a 13mm is it not?? if so grab yourself a 1/2 inch socket and wack it on, it is a knats boll@:? smaller it usually does the trick,

Nice. Worth a go.

I might get the universal socket anyway though, cos it's a gadget. :hehe:

To be honest guys I don't think the above will be necessary - it shouldn't be too tight...

Daves16v does a stainless replacement and coat it in white grease this time...

no it shouldnt be that tight, but my reply was to him being worried bout rounding the rusty bolt head, lets face we have all done that at some time, replacement should be fitted tho,