Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

suspect fuel pump 2.0 16v - what are the symptoms?

my 9A has been pinking sicne i bought it and has an erratic idle occasionally. i bought a second hand ISV off the forum and fitted it tonight. started the car and it wouldnt idle properly and kept dying. so i changed it back. also i took the vaccum hoses off to check for leaks. went to start it once finished and it wouldnt start. it was firing but not starting.

the fuel pump has been quite noisy and it has been pinking more than usual

so what could be the problem???

a 9a should be able to change its timing, I guess if you set the ignition timing to far out it can not retard/advance enough to bring it to the correct place. Also have you checked the knock sensors on front of block?

Guess a bad pump can be much help anyway, worth a filter change and check the filter on the in tank pump to (this caused problems for me a while back on a scirocco)

I thought the fuel pump may be the problem on an Audi 2.0 16v as it was making alot of noise, used a fuel pressure tester and 5bar was present so it was ok.

I borrowed the tester from a local garage, worth getting it positively checked.

got home from work tonight and took off all the air pipes i had removed last night and reconnected them and the car started fine.

my car pinks, shows high mpg 60 most of the time, has an erratic idle and when it started tonight the fuel pump didnt stop buzzing. is this normal???

The buzzing will be the main pump. It can either be being starved of fuel from the in-tank pump or it's wearing itself. I think you can test the in-tank one with a bit of spare pipe on the outlet, but if it is the main pump then that will cause the engine to stall when you are in motion, not at tickover ie when fuel is demanded.

Just a thought, the same thing happened on the wifes polo, i changed the fuel relay and fuel filter, worked fine then.

im not technical but it might be worth a shot.