Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Nearly blown up my idle stabilizer sound thingy again!!!

A few months ago i posted a topic up about my idle valve sound suppressor blowing up. The foam from the internals had shot back through the idle valve, through the rubber pipe into the big curved intake pipe and even through the MAF into the air filter. After much cleaning all was fine until.......... dun dun dunnnnnn when starting on Sunday it started with a big thud and a funny squeak and then stalled. It had happended again for chuff sake. Blue crap in all the same chuffing places.

What to do? When starting it seems to happen with a big thud most times. Is this normal? If not what is needed to sort it? Tim at The Phirm suggested starting with quarter throttle and after doing the cleaning and replacing the sound suppressor once again!!! the quarter throttle method has worked on the crashy start has worked?

Any suggestions most welcome as i don't fancy removing anymore blue crap from my beloved VR :)

i actually blew up the whole plastic thing when using the engine prior to my curent one. Just took it out altogether and bridged the pipes. Probably not the best solution but it never caused me any problems.

What he /\ says.... lose the stupid thing. You do anyway when fitting a schrick.

Starting with a severe thud sounds like it's backfiring through the inlet, which explodes the noise suppressor as you've discovered. Need to get that looked at as it will break your engine mounts eventually too.....

Managed to blow mine up aswell when I had problems with the ECU cutting out and getting the timing all wrong (backfiring through inlet as kev says), you need to find the cause before it does more damage.

Ok its booked into The Phirm 8th May. I'll get them to bridge the sound suppressor as well as other things

Any ideas as to what is causing the backfire? Does it sound like a head rebuild will solve it? Possibly a sticking valve?

All you need to do is take the suppressor off, put the long hose from the intake straight onto the ISV outlet and one of the shorter hoses (longer of the two IIRC) you use to connect the 90 degree outlet straight to the manifold outlet. Takes 10 mins!

Backfiring - could be slack chains, leaky injector etc etc