Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Checking subframe is straight

So I've got a front subframe for a VR sitting in my garage from my previously bent Corrado.

As the one on my current C is rather rusty, I was thinking of getting the one in my garage powdercoated and swapped over.

However, as the subframe was in the engine bay at the time of the very hefty crash - I've no idea if it's bent or not. The impact smashed the wheel in half and bent the wishbone, so I'd imagine it probably is a bit bent.

Is there any way to check it (some kind of rig?) or should I just lob it in the skip?

they normally are, i`ve seen quoted prices in the £200 - £300 range, i wouldnt take a chance on the subframe personally, if it aint straight it will scrub out £100 worth of tyres in no time mate

Yeah and/or could be fractured or god knows what.

Skip* it is then :D

*well, metal recylcing bin at the local dump

i reckon so dinkus, plus, i`d go with the suggestions put forward by kev haywire and a20 lee and get it seam welded too, it`s easier to weld up clean metal than pitted rusty old stuff, the original welding is a bit scant

Hmmmmmmmmm good suggestion

Plus a set of VT engine mounts...

Dammit, these plans always get expensive :lol:

i took the liberty of phoning gpc but they no longer have any left, they are reluctant to get any more in due to the carriage costs and have told me it would be better to go to the stealers .... it will probaly be around the £240 - £ 258 price range

Thanks for that :) - must be a slow day! :lol:

I'll ask my man in the know to see what he can get me one for.

Mind you, it's not that urgent - it's just the bit that holds the splitter on that's rusty...

I just had to pay near to £500 for that peice and the bit it's attached to when I was getting my car bent back into shape!

Mind you, it's not that urgent - it's just the bit that holds the splitter on that's rusty...

.... is that part the lower crossmember ??? now that is stupid money

Not really an option cos it's so rusty it's got holes in (just the bit that holds the splitter on - not the structural bit - that's fine)

Not really an option cos it's so rusty it's got holes in (just the bit that holds the splitter on - not the structural bit - that's fine)

Unless its a really complicated shape get whoever does the seam welding to put in some new metal, cost a lot less than the old one. I know a really good powdercoaters in cambs too.