Sign in to follow this  
sikaa1

ABS PROBLEM

Hi Guys,

Just had my corrado plugged to VAG-COM (due to the ABS warning light coming on intermittenly)and came out with the attahed codes. Can anyone out there explain them in plain english.

I've also had the two front brake sensors changed recently and it hasn't made a difference. Light still comes on when I'm driving. Goes off on start-up after 5secs and comes on / off whilist driving................HELP!!!!

Cheers,

Sika

Here are the faults from VAG COM

Monday, 01 May 2006, 12:34:55

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 1H0 907 379

Component and/or Version: ABS

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

4 Faults Found:

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)

35-00 - -

16-00 - Signal Outside Specifications

04-00 - Mechanical Malfunction

00793 - Brake Pedal Position Sensor (G100)

Hi, did you clear the codes and re-scan after changing the sensors? You might find the sensor error has gone. Welcome and good luck!

Yeah clear them as they may not have been cleared when the sensor was fitted - if it comes back then check it's plugged in...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice. Just a few more things!

Supercharged - I suppose it will have to be plugged back into VAG-COM to clear the fault codes?

Bigpants baby - How easy is to replace/sort the brake pedal position sensor?

16-00 Signal Outside Specifications

04-00 Mechanical Mulfunction

Are these related to the two above?

Cheers,

Sikaa1

Yep, clear them first before going any further... you'll need to drive it until the light comes back on and rescan...

The BPPS is fairly easy to change but awkward to get to, you need a mirror to see how to unclip the circlip but then it;s just a straight swap - about £50 from VW.

My local VW dealer reckons the BPPS is the same as the brake light switch.

I need to be sure b 4 I start swapping. Any ideas?

Change your dealer!

Don't buy anything before you've cleared the codes and waited for the light to come back on.

Supercharged, cleared the codes over the weekend.

Light still coming on. Still reading 1 fault - 00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Front Right (G45)

Changed the two front sensors about a month ago when I got the first reading.

Any ideas??!!!

Unplug the sensor wires at the top of the suspension turrets and measure resistance and compare with each other... does the light come on before the car moves? - if so may be a connection problem

The light comes on when the ignition is switched on for about 5 secs and goes off - as per normal. It only comes back on and off when the car is moving.

i.e. Normal on ignition/startup, problem starts only when the car is in motion.

I has a similar problem with mine where it kept coming on intermittently and it turned out to be the brake pedal sensor. I've now got a different problem when sometimes I start the car and the light just doesn't go out at all, stays on the complete journey.

Annoyingly, my C apparently is of the type that doesn't hold it's fault codes and so I've never been able to get the fault diagnosed and it never seems to occur when I take it to a garage.

Is VAG-COM a hand held device or something linked into an actual PC? I could really do with something portable that I can carry around with me, and then when the fault occurs I could just plug it in. Is VAG-COM expensive to purchase? Where could I purchase one from?

The light comes on when the ignition is switched on for about 5 secs and goes off - as per normal. It only comes back on and off when the car is moving.

i.e. Normal on ignition/startup, problem starts only when the car is in motion.

In that case it could be a rusty or distorted abs rotor (the part that the sensor looks at) if the sensor is ok...

Kerrinmay - check out http://www.vagcom.co.uk

There are generic code readers available for £15-25. They'll just report the error code though, usually, you'll have to look it up in a book to translate that back to what the fault really is.

Where can I get a £15-£25 generic code reader from? And what would be a name to look for?

Also, is it possible to download a list of all fault codes from somewhere?

I think they sell 'em in Halfords and other auto factors. Couldn't tell you a name, I didn't buy one, some research on google might do the trick though.. :)

Supercharged: Can you determine the level of distortion and corrosion on the abs rotor cage? Is it fairly straight foward to replace?

And another thing? ABS light only started playing up after I had the discs and pads changed!!

Cheers,

Sikaa

Supercharged : Is there a way of detecting a faulty cage or is it just a visual check?

Are they easy to replace?

Cheers,

Sikaa1

Supercharged - "the plot thickens" ............................

Spent hours changing the abs rotor and wheel bearing and deleted all fault codes.........it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. Light goes off after approx 5 secs on start -up (every time) and comes on whilst the car is in motion. VAG-COM is telling us it's the drivers' side sensor..........Can't be (hopefully) a faulty connection because it goes off on start up (every time). Sensors, abs rotor and wheel bearings have been changed.......

Hello - sorry only just saw this...

BTW Kerrinmay - The generic code readers are £9.99 in halfords at the moment but they are faily cack compared to vagcom and not even sure if they report ABS fauls - they also only come with pins not a proper OBD2 plug...

sikaa1, try unplugging the abs connectors at the top of the suspension turrets and measureing resistance accross them - compare one side to the other and report back...

sikaa1, have yo still got vag com - can you post up what fault you are now getting - ie what is says underneath the code