Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Insurance

Im 20. 1 years NC. Live in a nice area. Drive a G60. Pay a touch over £900 FC with Elephant with £250 excess.

Ive got to renew in a couple weeks, and had my renewal letter through at the weekend. With my loyal service, an extra years NC my renewal quote was about £50 less!

I thought this was a bit sh1t, so a minute ago i did a renewal quote with elephant online (as i have done everything so far) and punched in exactly the same details as they already have, and...

It was £200 cheaper...!! :shock:

Cheeky, rip-off, stealing, mother-truckers!! :p

When i had just passed, everyone was ranting about the 'pass-plus' which was basically non-failable. It took you on the motorway, and with some ins companies this gave you a bit of a discount.

Can anyone tell me a worthwhile such course, that all/most ins companies take into account?

And money saving tips? Ive put my mother on there as a named driver, and as shes a middle-aged female, it knocks it down a few quid, but anything else?

Nick

*edit - whats happened?! I cant delete the copy! lol!*

I did pass plus when i first started driving and it gave me a years extra NCD. I used the co-operative i think it was and they accept Pass plus, when i went to my next insurer they ask how many years NCD and they gave 2 so from then on i have always had an extra years NCD which has helped.

Insurance companies are b*****ds for hardly giving you any more discount when you come to renew thats why i have never stayed with the same one for more than a year.

Thats about it Shag, keep your mum on there and maybe consider the Advanced Motorist thing that may save you 10%, if you've got time.

But the biggest saver is age/experience and NCD. So come 25, it will drop massively. Dont cry mommy just yet, as that sounds cheap for Fully Comp, at only £650/yr. I think I paid that at age 24 for TPFT - so tihnk your self well off.

YES those a***es are day-light robbers. My renewal quotes are often poo and most years I have to go back as a new customer. Last year Norwich Union Direct refused me as a new customer, saying they had me down on thier system and I had to bend over and take thier renewal quote up my ****

later on I used Confused dot com (one of many ins search engines) and the quote became £90 cheaper.

I moved house up the road, they added £40. I moved back to my old address and it didnt come down in price - funny, real funny.

I used to be with Highway and they reduced the policy by about £50 after the first year - but my overall cost went up by about £20 due to an increase in administration charges?!

Advanced motorist thing may be worth doing if it costs less to do than the amount you'll save on your insurance by doing it. If you've been driving for a year or so you probably have loads of bad driving habits (1 hand on steering wheel etc) - thats why its best to do it just after you've passed.

If you have a garage put it down as being in there overnight, even if its full of junk - don't say its garaged if you don't have 1 though!

Churchill are quite good IMO

RANT #2

Just tried Prvilege online and got a quote of about £400 TFP, out of curiosity I changed it to Fully Comp and did the update, to have the quote go cheaper by £9 ---- :cuckoo: ?

RANTY Rant Rant, continued.

Had a letter from Privelige today,

Dear sir,

yada yada yada, We noticed that on your last insurance policy with elephant (who we own) you had non standard alloys, As you have not disclosed that to us we are going to charge you 160 nicker in 2 days time.

Well I went balistic down the phone. Im usually very good with call centre people as have had experience of being screamed at downt he phone myself. But this poor lass got it with both barrels.

How dare they? They didn't even ask if the wheels were still on the car (which they are not). Just a nice letter and a F You.

after rather a long wait where I gather the call was being replayed to a manager :oops: , she came back on the line and confirmed that the cars wheels were the same as came on when it left the factory. "we will believe you sir and take your word for it. However there is a problem with an undisclosed accident."

At this point I went Nuts. the accident in question was outside of the 3 years history that they ask for,They are able to veiw this from Elephants files and she had got her maths wrong. :so therefore will not affect the policy sir and We are very sorry to have bothered you. Yes you can have that in writing, and please have a nice day, can I help you with anything else." GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Callcenters and plebs. Life would be so much simpler if they were all moved to Chernobyl.

well my first quote on my VR, with the AA (who "check loads of brokers') at the tender age of 25, was......... £4989, no, thats not a typo.

I ended up going through Egg as they were offering 10% discount for having an Egg card, and another 10% as it was my first policy (seemed a strange one) so ended up paying 800 quid FC.

dunno what I am paying atm, the old dear is delaing with it. but i'll be on 5 years NC next time round, so that'll help :)

well my first quote on my VR, with the AA (who "check loads of brokers') at the tender age of 25, was......... £4989, no, thats not a typo.

:shock: Where were you living at the time .... Beirut?

nah, I always use my parents address, nice little village. thats handy for several reasons, credit checks, car insurance, council tax etc etc.

always used the same address, and the AA came back with quotes from 2 brokers, one for £3k and one for £4989