Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Polishing - what am I doing wrong??

Having real problems with the bonnet on my lupo, the rest of the car is lovely and shiny black, but the bonnet has a constant haze over it which I cant shift!! :mad:

So far Ive been using Farecla G3 cutting compound on my electric polishing mop and iv done this about 4 times with no results!

Next ive tried Auto Glym super resin polish about 4 times on the mop and still no better!!! After all this ive applied Auto Glym extra gloss protection which has helped a little but the paint underneath is still dull!!! :mad:

Any ideas what I can use to bring my bonnet up to the same standard as the rest of the car coz its really peaving me off!!! :wink:

Moving to Exterior.

Not a Corrado I know, but it's all paintwork ...

I've used the same stuff with great results but found it better doing by hand than with the polisher. Bit of a back breaker but well worth it.

forgive me if im wrong, but i believe G3 is more abrasive than G10, and should be used for removing deeper scratches. You're supposed to keep a mist of water on the area youre prepping.

Once you've used the G3, you should go over the area with G10, then wax.

bristolbaron, Cheers mate, didnt know about g10, will have a look for it!! timg60, Looks like im gonna have to ditch the mop and put my back into it!!

Vee-dub Where did you get the G3 from. I used the last of my stack that I got from a cabbie who swore by it.

Want to get some more as am going to try and do the c before RTTS.

Mine was given to me by a mate who works at a bodyshop and its nearly run out!!

Im sure Mill Auto Supplies stock it and I also think iv seen it at Trago Mills!

after the cutting compounds use a polish and then a wax.dont use a wax straight after the cutting...

neil. :)

after the cutting compounds use a polish and then a wax.dont use a wax straight after the cutting...

neil. :)

Pretty much what ive been doing!!

wat ya need to do is wash the bonnet abt 3 times with fairly liquid or equivelant not car wash as it wont strip the waxes/polihses you have applied and then maybe clay bar it if needed..

then if the pint looks ok apply wax and leave for abt 45 mins then rub off... looks like your not leaving the wax long enough to cure

if the paint isnt good use G10 untill it looks good then wax or you can use 3M Finess inbetween to bring the paint up...

my bonnet looks all smeary atm coz i didnt have enough time last time for it to cure

veedub - be careful.

You're using an abrasive - but why? You'd only need that to remove blemishes. It will cut into the gloss and wear it down; and it will wear down much quicker when using power tools rather than by hand.

If you cut too far down you will have gone through the gloss and get down to paint. Once you've done this you can forget it. Rubbing down the paint will totally knacker a metalic paint. If you're lucky and you've just missed the paint by a few thou', then get it re-glossed.

But thats assuming the gloss is damaged a small amount - it maybe the case that it is a film of grime on your car, as Furk is suggesting, hence the large use of fairy, which will cut through any oily substances. If you car is looking dull and you are certain theres lots of gloss left and there is no oily stuff, then you could cut it down a smidge, as you say you've done. As the gloss probably has lots of tiny scratches in it. Finish off by using a deep wax.

To prevent those scratches, ensure you always use a decent spondge to clean the car. Avoid car washes and brushes. Wax as often as you can as this creates a protective barrier, that takes the brunt of tiny scratches caused by everyday use. I'd only use that mechanical buffer once a year.

;)

wat ya need to do is wash the bonnet abt 3 times with fairly liquid or equivelant not car wash as it wont strip the waxes/polihses you have applied and then maybe clay bar it if needed..

then if the pint looks ok apply wax and leave for abt 45 mins then rub off... looks like your not leaving the wax long enough to cure

if the paint isnt good use G10 untill it looks good then wax or you can use 3M Finess inbetween to bring the paint up...

my bonnet looks all smeary atm coz i didnt have enough time last time for it to cure

Im sure youve been asked before Furkz but what wax do you use?

Im sure youve been asked before Furkz but what wax do you use?

He uses his ear wax :lol:

Remember that on the newer cars you are only polishing/cleaning the clearcoat paint layer and this is what give the shine, not the actual paint underneath.

If the paint surface is just a bit hazy, as if it has a waxy layer on it, then just using some paint cleaner (not a polish) should be OK, followed by some wax.

Sometime the use of the AG SRP can build up a cloudy later especially on darker coloured cars. This can be removed with a paint cleaner, and the gloss restored. Paint Cleaner can be from P21S, Swissol, Zymol, Megs or whereever. It will have high cleaning properties, low abrasive, and maybe gloss enhancing.

Also I would advise against the use of a sponge, as once you get grit into a sponge you will not remove it. Use a wash mit or a wash cloth to wash your car with, then throw it into the washing machine afterwards.

Likewise to dry the car, use a blade (HydraFlexi is the best) and a m/f drying towel, or just a couple of drying towels, and again throw them in the wash afterwards.

fantastic stuff to try is Meguires quick clay.

a,azing stuff bout 11.99 me thinks i always use it.

gets rid of stuff which is pounded in to the paint work.

you dont know how dirty it is untill youve used it.

makes the paint work as smooth as glass.

and, there Tech Wax is amazing to.

agreed, meg stage 3 as Furks said is the dogs. just feels like it wont scratch the car and is easy to take off.

Used the clay bar when i bought the car and it worked miracles, but i reckon once a yr at most with that will sort it. If you can stage 3 it at least once a month or every 2 weeks you prob only need the bar used once initially.

Paint Cleaner can be from P21S, Swissol, Zymol, Megs or whereever. It will have high cleaning properties, low abrasive, and maybe gloss enhancing.

So this is a good idea for metallic finishes where clear coat is used?? can these product be brought for local stores

It doesn't matter if you have a plain colour, newer colour with clearcoat or metallic (always laquered/clearcoat), then will all work well on all the finishes.

Megs (retail range) can be bought in most Halfords and other car accessory type shops, P21S, Swissol, Zymol and Megs Pro/Valet (Mirror Finish) range can be bought online.

If you want to go down the megs route then get hold of some #83 DACP (Dual Action Cleaner Polish) which is similar to some of the stuff in the 1-2-3 kit I believe, then also some #80 Speed Glaze to add that extra bit of shine if you like, followed by some wax, P21S in the case of the car that I used it on (flat black).

try http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk

HTH