Sign in to follow this  
funboxvr6

VR6 Clutch - Help/info please

Hi All

I noticed that the clutch was slipping a bit this morning and that it's operation was near to the top of the pedal travel.

I didn't notice it yesterday with just me in the car but I was carrying a full carload today, is this typical?

Is there an adjustment to the pedal travel required or is it likely that the clutch is on the way out?

If I do need a new one can anyone recommend which to get VAG/GSF etc and how much it's likely to cost and how much of a job it is?

Also is there any associated jobs that I should carry out at the same time etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AND7 F, don't go to Mr Clutch whatever you do!! - they don't use genuine parts and fit whatever they can find - I had major problems with them and there warranty after buying my G60 with a 'new clutch' fitted - completly wrong one fitted and then they fitted a new master cylinder but no slave (!!!) because of a problem the previuos owner had... it turned out to be the slave that was the problem that I diagnosed soon after getting the car - the previous owner had bills for over £500 from Mr Clutch and 3 clutchs in 6 months under warranty.

Did a bit more checking on the way home, the 'clutch slipping' symptoms seem to happen mostly in the higher gears particularly changing up from 4th into fifth - on the gas - the revs go up but not the power transfer. No slippage in 1st gear from standstill. No clutchy burny smell. Doesn't make sense to me? Anyone know what I'm on about :?: :!: :?:

cheers

FB

Clutches normally slip in the higher gears first as the engine load is higher. When it's completely spent, it will slip in the lower gears too.

A simple test would be too drive up a hill in 4th at about 35mph and floor it. If the engine revs increase but not the mph, you're clutch is on it's way out for sure.

What happens if you pump the pedal several times? The friction disc can sometimes stick on the output shaft splines.

What mileage is the car on? Any evidence of a clutch change in the history?

VAG clutches are the best ones to use from previous experience of dodgy GSF ones.

And on top of this, not wishing to unnecessarily cost you more cash, but if you're considering swapping the clutch it's time to get your timing chains checked - since the clutch has to come off to do the chains may aswell do both at the same time if they both need doing ...

A new flywheel isn't a bad idea either, just to make sure all the mating surfaces are new. They're £70 exchange from the stealer and come prefitted with the starter pinion ring.

I can supply clutch kits, especially if you want a special one.

Has anyone got an old clutch kit they have removed lying around to model a paddle clutch from?

Chris