Sign in to follow this  
villie

valver running hot...

iv read a few posts about this, got very confused. i'd like to know if this could be a messed up temp sender or something. basically when i start the engine in the morning, my temp dial was reading just under 90 degrees. After about 5-10 mins of driving, this has risen to just under 110 degrees and stays there. The mfa reads between 100 and 112 degrees. Is this right?? I know its not. Today sitting in traffic, the temp on the mfa rose to 116 which i know isnt good. i did notice the otherday that the fan wasnt kicking in. i replaced the radiator switch and after about 106 degrees (reading from mfa)it kicked in. arent they suppose to kick in at like 95 or summin like that.... please help...

thanks

I'm pretty sure my 1.8 16v fan comes on at 105 degrees but I wouldn't swear to it; that may be the second speed though. It's very rare for it to get above 100 degrees even in traffic on a hot day. Are you sure water is circulating through your radiator and the thermostat isn't stuck closed? You could try removing the thermostat to see what happens.

i know this sounds stupid but how do i check to see if water is circulating round my radiator and where do i find my thermostat....

my max temp is 96 for oil in standing traffic usually and water about 90 then fan kicks in,i put a new vag oil cooler on when changing my engine to which helps keep everything in order.