Shaggy

"leveling" paintwork??

heard this term a few times before?? it involves going over the body with a very fine wet & Dry (2000 grit) and then polishing it back up. i am guessing the main reason for this is to completey restore the paintwork?? i am looking to do something similar to my roof as its starting to oxidise a little and want to get it looking half decent, just got my self a shit hot orbital polisher which should take so of the pain out of polishing....

Anyone had any experience doing this kinda thing before, i have done this on newly painted panels just not really sure it will work on older panels in the same way??

Personally I would do the wet and dry by hand. To much danger of burning the paintwork with an orbital. but Reckon the principle is the same for old or new paintwork. then use the orbital to buff her up again. Very interested to hear how you get on if you go ahead as would consider doing parts of mine the same way.

god!! i would defo do the wet and dry by hand!! :)

Gonna give it a go on a small patch first, cant see much going wrong aslong as i dont go over the top with the wet and dry... i ve had a quick go with my new "porta cable" polisher, it works really well, the paintwork doesnt heat up anywhere near as much than with other rotating polishers and its amazingly quick! :)

Sorry thougt I should point out the bleedin obvious.

You got a Porter Cable?!?!?! Man they are supossed to be the schitt. Have fun.

Have you tried T Cutting them first?? I think i would definitely start wit ha botle of TCut before taking wet adn dry to my paintwork.....

i havent really tried t-cut to be honest?? i have been playing with this farquela G3 & G10 stuff at the moment which seems to work pretty nicely, although i think i need more of a t-cutting type polish as the G3 is only a compound and will not polish up paint surfaces??

use some meguiars diamond cut compound(no85) with a rotary buffer and then use some meguiars dual action cleaner polish (no83)with the pc, brought mine up like new :D