Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

H&R springs on Gmax suspension

Noticed a while back that the rear offside of the car is sitting about 15mm lower than the nearside. Thinking the spring must have a problem (shock wouldn't cause this?) so thinking of going to H&R springs. Would they be a direct swap for the original gmax springs?

Also this weekend the car didn't feel very sharp, the steering was fague and over 100mph the steering wheel had about an inch of play before affecting the wheels. All bushes have been changed, and just passed a MOT so ball joints should be ok. Wondering whether the front top mounts are shot.

Any thoughts? I know I should go Konis aswell as springs but can spare about £100, not £400+.

I was going to get Gmax shoxs. Till I noticed on their site. It said gmax shoxs can only be used with Gmax springs???

Maybe its just a sales thing.

I went for a Weitec kit. Got the whole lot from G-man.

Took my old springs off only to find they were Gmax :roll: Sitting on totally knackered mix n match standard shoxs.

Sounds like I should be able to swap the springs then if you had gmax springs on standard shocks. The diameter must be the same to suit standard and gmax shocks. Must remember to get the smaller type at the top mount end, think they changed the size around '93 '94 on the VR's.

I changed H&R for Gmax springs with Gmax shocks on a mk2 golf a while back and they swapped over no problem. It's only a stop gap until I get some decent shocks though, the Gmax suspension kits are rubbish IMO...

I agree, I'm temped to just get the whole lot in one go but at worse case thought the H&R's would be an improvement then get the koni shocks later.

Had a good blast along a motorway yesterday, trying to corner foot near enough on the floor at about 130mph and it was trying to oversteer. Does that sound right? Expected it to understeer if anything.

The back seems to let go sooner when steering right (the side with the lower rear ride height) than going left. Make any sense?