Sign in to follow this  
flusted

4-5stud DEPSERATE HELP NEEDED 288mm brakes

I know the rears are easy,the front however are confusing me.

I want to use mk3 gti hubs with mk4 288mm calipers and carriers and also mk3 gti cvs.

Ive read that the ball joints from the mk3 wont fit my corrado wishbones tho,can anyone confirm this?

Also will the mk4 carriers bolt on ok and line up?

If not,is it poss to fit vr6 rado front hubs,then the 288mm mk4 calipers and carriers?

Had a quick look through them just to see how easy it is. Why cant you plug the overlaping hole, weld it up then skim the weld back in a lathe? Done that on the Cortina hubs on my Anglia and they're fine.

Id rather use second hand parts from other models as it would be cheaper for me.

Can aanyone advise on the mk3gti hubs fitting?

MK3 5 stud is the same as rado 5 stud

What you need is 5 stud wishbones, ARB, driveshafts (longer length and bigger outer cv) and also the hubs. The choice of brakes is then 280mm as fitted to rado VR's or early MK3's, or 288's off later mk3's. I'm not entirely sure that the MK4 288 is the same, but I would think it would be

I think Flusted (and myself) just wants to do the conversion to 5 stud without going widetrack - am I right in thinking this can be done with just the 5 stud hubs and VR6 outer CV joints and discs all round (ie don't need to change wheel bearing carrier)??

surely the mk3 gti 8v isnt widetrack? ive read that the mk3 hubs use different balljoints hence why you need the wishbones?

surely the mk3 gti 8v isnt widetrack? ive read that the mk3 hubs use different balljoints hence why you need the wishbones?

The 5 stud setup is a wider track than the 4 stud rado setup

The only way to use the 4 stud rado wishbones and still run 5 stud is to use a 5 stud drive flange, with a new bearing in the existing 4 stud hub - then you will have to redrill the existing disc to 5x100. This can be done with no problems

Just as a bit of additional information, the 4 stud setup on a rado or MK2/3 golf uses a ET35 wheel, whereas the wider 5 stud setup is offset with an ET43 wheel. We will ignore the MK3 4 stud widetrack setup in this instance......

so could i use the 5 stud flange but the mk4 disc,caliper and carrier? or could i get away with widetracking my car but im using 18" audi wheels et35?

The mounting points on the 4 and 5 stud hubs are different in terms of the offset needed on the disc - a 4 stud disc has a much heavier offset than a 5 stud one for this reason, so the only disc you can mount with a 4 stud hub is a 4 stud disc

Regarding the 18's, I couldnt tell you, but they will stick further out from the bodywork than a standard VW 5x100 wheel

Just posted this on cgti so her it is for continuity :lol:

there is no vag 288 4 stud disc, i think tsr used to use rover 4 stud discs with their conversion a while back.

Anyway so by the time you have put 5 stud hubs in surely you would have been better off going for wide track and therefore not having to redrill discs every time you change them etc.... you would probs even find a rat you could get everything from in a scrappers.

I do have one question on this however - if the 5 stud hub will fit into the 16v hub assembly using the same bearing why will this not give the correct offset?