Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

What type of petrol should I use???

I have just bought a 89 16v corrado and assumed it runs on unleaded, but I was flicking through a corrado brochure and it says that you can only use unleaded if it is 98 RON???? Can i run the car on just plain old unleaded???

i think your best to run it on Super U/L or shell's Optimax........though give it a try with 95RON U/L and if it "pinks" then use the dearer stuff

I used to find that running my 16V on 2 tanks of standard unleaded to 1 tank of super unleaded made the car run OK and not pink, but you could really tell the difference in power when you ran her on just super... Dunno what it was like on Optimax 'cos I wrote her off before it was invented! :? I know it makes a shed load of difference in my G60 so I guess it'd be good in a 16V too! 8) It's the only thing I run my G60 on when she's got a working engine! :roll:

Lowest here is 95 Lanny.. heh...

I believe Super Unleaded is your best bet for your '89 16v joe.. as some other guys have already said, the earlier 16v engine was designed to run on 97-98RON and anything less can cause the engine to pink - and cause other problems related to that. I'd be putting Super U/L or Optimax in without a doubt.

And welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't worry about it Lanny, there is a thread elsewhere on here that notes that we measure our petrol differrently to your guys so it may be the same.

thats good to know, think i heard that before. i used to drop a bottle of octane boost when the car was running well (i wasnt taking things apart, etc) and i noticed a huge improvment, especially after the boosted gas would run out and i'd fill up with no booster.. "where'd the power go!?" gut feeling was there was something wrong, something retarding timing. i got used to running no booster, can't wait to try it with two or three bottles of the 'race formula 110' stuff :twisted: or maybe i should find a cheap toluene source!! :twisted: :twisted:

sticker on the gas door only calls for 87 i believe it is! but with a chip in there minimum is 91 with more aggresive map.

i noticed a huge improvment, especially after the boosted gas would run out and i'd fill up with no booster.. "where'd the power go!?

:lol: that what its like when your not runnin our 98 RON Optimax over here. It just aint the same :lol:

joebrent - I have 1.8 16v also.

When I first had her I did Experiment with Standard (95 RON) Unleaded.

This didn't cause any pinking in my case, but if you take the Pepsi challange with Optimax there really is a difference!

Personally I prefer to pay a bit more for Optimax for the extra power - And it's one thing you don't have to declare to the insurance company! :lol:

Thanks a lot people all the information was great, i will run the car on optimax, i have always used that on my cars anyway!!!

p.s does anyone know what has happened to the corrado club of G.B??

Oh yeah and also thamks for replying to my posts so quickly, that was the first time i used the forum and im definiteley gona be using it all the time now!!!!

A rule of thumb on Petrol

1 Look inside the petrol flap, there is normally a sticker on there somewhere

2 Most new cars that run on unleaded have a narrow filler neck so you can't get an older 4* or LRP nozzle in them.

i think although not !00% sure you'll also find that unleaded filler necks have a flap on them designed to stop the petrol coming back up the filler neck

but thats a rule of thumb

I always use Optimax or Super unleaded if Optimax is not available in my 16V, you could fit Kstar if you want to run on unleaded, I personally don't think it is worth the expense. Some will run ok on regular unleaded some won't but it isn't high enough octane, it may be worth a try, if it pinks you will soon know about it, try Optimax, it seems to do what it says on the tin!!

I always fill up with Super Unleaded on my G60. It seems to love the stuff!

I've just been looking on the net and it appears that BP are planning on fetching fuel out with 100 RON. :twisted:

Should make things feel quicker 8)

I've just been looking on the net and it appears that BP are planning on fetching fuel out with 100 RON. :twisted:

wonder how much the government and bp will fleece us for that then

Would that the ECU cope with the Extra 2 ron, i know its not a lot but they are mapped for 95-98, i dont know how they works hence the question. :?

If you're not pinging or knocking with 98 RON you won't get any advantage from 100 RON.

However if you use 100 RON you might be able to advance the timing a few more degrees, and you COULD get an improvement that way

Skye

you can run more timing and at hotter temps with 100 vs 98. the map should be fine Jet, especially if youve got a rechip. i don't think the map is dependant on the RON number, but rather whether the car will ping or not. 100 will just increase its resistance to pinging, so i can't see higher octane being a bad thing any way you slice it..

..also worth noting skye.. the knock sensors in our cars are VERY sensative. especially if youre running a high boost setup and/or some extra timing, it may only *seem* that there is no knock, when in fact the knock sensor *is* retarding timing somewhat. try getting a bottle of octane boost in your tank and you'll see what i mean. higher octane level relates directly to less activity by the knock sensor during hard driving. less knock sensor activity means the ECU is not pulling out as much timing (ideally.. none at all) which means more oomph.

it would be more accurate to say if you use your car as a grocery getter and "If you're not pinging or knocking with 98 RON you won't get any advantage from 100 RON." it's always better to run more octane (to a reasonable degree) in a car that is pushed hard.