Sign in to follow this  
jon

track rod end setup

i've just had new track rod ends,wheel bearings and bottom ball joints fitted by my local indepenent vw garage.

when i got the car back it pulled badly to the left so i took it back and it turns out that my garage put the new track rod end on without setting it to the correct length as the bently manual states, also my garage had the tracking set by selecta tyres who adjusted it on both sides not just on the right .

neither my garage or selcta tyres have heard of setting the track rod end to the correct length, does anybody know if it is important to set the length and what is the reason for this?

the tracking has been adjusted again by selcta and it drives ok.

i don't want to go back to my garage and kick up a big fuss but i want my car doing right any help would be much appreciated

"setting the track rod end to the correct length" is the same as setting the tracking, its the same thing. so if its driving straight its allready been done and will be fine.

When the car left the factory, it had a fixed track rod on one side and an adjustable one on the other. When you replace them, they're always adjustable. Setting the length usually means counting the exposed threads on the old one and setting the new one up to match it, but if your old one was fixed, they can't do that. So they just have to reset it from scratch.

"setting the track rod end to the correct length" is the same as setting the tracking, its the same thing. so if its driving straight its allready been done and will be fine.

i know that setting the tracking is in effect setting the track rod to the correct length but the bently manual says not to adjust the left hand side and pre-set it to the correct lenght,

if the track rod was not set to this lenght when fitted and then adjusted afterwards will it be at the right lenght as it is impossible to measure on the car, i'm trying to get an idea of how important it is to set it to the right lenght as i don't want to cause any problems in the future

i think that is just more for ease of setup, but if the steering wheel is in the correct possition and the car doesnt pull to the side then it will be fine.

When the car left the factory, it had a fixed track rod on one side and an adjustable one on the other. When you replace them, they're always adjustable. Setting the length usually means counting the exposed threads on the old one and setting the new one up to match it, but if your old one was fixed, they can't do that. So they just have to reset it from scratch.

the old one wasn't fixed so it must have been done before i got the car, i'm just trying to understand why vw say it should be at a fixed length and what would be the adverse affects adjusting the left track rod,

if it's not important to do why do vw say so in the bently manual

ok thanks COOLRADO just making sure my garage isn't ripping me off had some probs with them recently not sure they are very knowledgeable about rado's but don't have much choice where i live.

thanks for your help