Sign in to follow this  
Danger Mouse

sony stereo

i cant seem to get my sony stereo to work properly.

its plays fine but when i turn the engine off and leave it for several minuted all my setting are reset.

Iv had this problem before on my golf and my mondeo ( sorry i know its a ford, its a mondeo, i know it sucks, get over it ).

anyway no matter how many wires I switch around I cant seem to get the blasted thing to keep the settings I want.

I was under the impression that VW and sony has some kind of partnership (if thats the best way to describe it) and that they use sony connectors for their stereo systems. Don't understand why I cant get mine to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DM

Sounds like the common permnament/ignition live problem.

I would check your red and yellow power wires.

If you have just used an ISO block, you will need to swap the Red and Yellow wires - and hopefully that should be it.

If it's still not working, I'd get a voltmeter out and check your ignition live only works with the ignition, and that your permnament live is indeed permnament.

on some sony stereos there is a small switch on the case (under side i think) that allows the radio to be set up correctly. so you dont need to switch any wires.

but i dont know if they still come on the new ones.

I have a sony headunit and i ended up putting both the red and yellow wires in to one, means I dont have to have the ignition on to listen to the radio! :D

Not sure how well this would work if your headunit wasnt a 'face off' type, it may drain the battery! at least with the face off you know its deffinatly off....

I have a sony headunit and i ended up putting both the red and yellow wires in to one, means I dont have to have the ignition on to listen to the radio! :D

Not sure how well this would work if your headunit wasnt a 'face off' type, it may drain the battery! at least with the face off you know its deffinatly off....

I wire all of my car stereos like this 'cos it annoys the hell outta me having to have the ignition on to listen to the stereo... :lol:

I've got a Kenwood Mask on mine - same sorta thing, I've actually wired it so that the stereo is on no matter what - and it makes me mask it (its a manual one) every time I leave the car to turn it off.

hey all

if i put both wires into one it doesnt come on at all

im at a complete loss, i know its not the end of the world but its a pain the the a**e having to input my settins over and over

DM

In order for the stereo to work all the time, you'll need permnament power running into both the ignition live and perm. live inputs.

Have you tested the wires yet?

is there a setting on in the stereos setup menu to allow you to change the memory settings. some stereos do have such settings

is there a setting on in the stereos setup menu to allow you to change the memory settings. some stereos do have such settings

There isn't on any of the Sony's I've used. What sorta setting, anyway, Nige?

iv been workin a lot at the moment

im taking it down on wednesday to have the wires checked

just thought id try easier options first

thanks for all your help chapps

DM

Sounds like you're missing a permnament live feed.

It's unlikely to have been cut... it may be hanging somewhere down the back of the dash.

Just hope to god it was taped up when removed from the last stereo..... :shock:

uv got me worried now :shock:

think i may have little look behind the dash tomorrow, possibly with some rubber gloves

thanks Andi

ill let you know how it goes by wednesday at least

Regards

DM

Andi

Basically when you go into the setting menu some radios have a power setup fuction that set up everything from main power to the length of time the radio stay on after you remove the keys. (i.e so the car bettery dont go flat if left on)

What would that have to do with it losing the settings after the capacitors have discharged, though?

basically it sets the stereo to hold it memory or not, not that hard to understand is it. i've installed loads of stereos and i've seen a few with these features.

No it doesn't, it means it keeps the stereo on, running off the perm. live, for the set amount of time, once the ignition live is turned off....

Settings only remain on a stereo if the permnament live is indeed permnament....

Sounds like you're missing a permnament live feed.

It's unlikely to have been cut... it may be hanging somewhere down the back of the dash.

Yes, unforunetly alot of Corrados have had there stereo's nicked (or badly installed ) at one time or another - have you got any signs of this like cut wires or ones that have been re-connected with tape round them?? - It does sound like you need to get the multimeter out!

explain how some radios can hold there radio channels and presets even when disconnected all together then. they still need the code putting back in but they can hold the presets. bit of an arse that mine doesn't.

like i said SOME have these features, so basically by setting the power setup correctly you can get the radio to hold its presets. i've only seen it once or twice and it supprised me when i saw it.

Ok, but never come accross that myself.

Have installed 4 Sony headunits - from old to bang-upto-date - none of which had this feature.... and since this is about Sony headunits...

Think in total I've done around 15 installs - and never come accross a permnament setting-saved headunit. Yes, some remember for a few minutes because of capacitors inside, but not seen one that lasts longer.

depends how they save the presets at the end of the day, nothing to do with wiring but i do now a sony unit i fitted to my dads passat had a dip switch on the bottem as mention up thread for the same reason. its possible that this dip switch has been replaced but a logic function in the electronics.

Hey all

Just to let you know JoeM gave me a hand with the stereo this afternoon and its working fine.

Cheers again Joe

Thanks to everyone who gave some input.

DM