Sign in to follow this  
BlackHeartValentine

HELP! just got New Engine (Said 53k) But I Have A Bad Feelin

HELP! just got New Engine (Said 53k) But I Have A Bad Feeling....

Can you please look at these pics and let me know if something is wrong here or is it just me...Also I still have my old one but have not dismantled it yet (I will by this weekend)

granted I do still have my old TB and Intake Manifold (which are going to be polished along with this head) and I can use some parts from my old one, but I am just ticked off cause the guy I bought this from on ebay had it listed as "Practicly brand new" and "In great Shape" but I think there are things missing and just plain messed up... Harlp!

bottom pic is fine :)

you are missing a cap in the one above it though :( and the cap should match the cam really

feckin ebay idiots... :roll:

oh your talking about the pic above the bottom one missing the cap that bolts on where the other has one an the missing one just has the 2 bolts there :( I can take that one off my old head but yeah Fecking Ebay Sux! Full of A-holes... :mad: Well I'm off to write this jackhole back (for the 20th time)

do not replace with 1 from your old head as it will wreck it!

Make sure you use the 1s that go with the head and in the right order.

Not sure if there is 1 missing either,alot of 8v heads only had 3 cam caps but im unsure with g60

The top picture of the TB I wouldn't say is a major issue as that only houses the base of the spindle for the boost return butterfly and it's bearing. (and you have your old one!)

In the 3rd pic - you have a problem. There is a bearing cap missingand they are matched to the head not the cam! Not sure waht you can do about it. Dont put the one off your old head on as it will seize the cam.

Ahhhh!! I have written the guy a new email about this and he FINALLY responed by saying "If there's something missing, I will do a partial refund or send the additional parts needed if it was not listed in the auction (if I have them). I wasn't aware of the missing cam gear cap. It's a possibility someone may have taken it since it has been sitting for years." WTF!

So What Can I Do If He Doesn't Have The CAP? (I know my first instinct is get refund!)

Can a machine shop manufacture one for me?

Can my old one that goes there be modified to fit?

:help: :help: :help:

Aren't all 1990 G60 8v heads the same? Meaning that the camshaft bearing cap from my g60 8v PG will fit this new G60 8v PG? I mean, aren't they exactly machined the same way from the factory? Confusion to the Limit!

I just got off the phone with the guy and he seems to think his brother took it and used it on one of his cars! How can he use it on another car if I can't apparently use one from my same engine to replace it?? WTF this is terrible.

sounds like your in trouble mate, time to examine the desc on the auction maybe?

You may be able to use one of your old bearing caps provided the clearance is in limits. If you are installing new shell bearings then the clearance must be checked anyway using plastiguage. As i say, as long as the clearance is in limits you SHOULD be ok.......I don't know what these limits are but someone on here with a Bentley G60 manual should be able to tell you. You can get plastiguage from http://www.debben.co.uk/acatalog/Click_ ... tools.html

With a new set of shell bearings and the correct clearances you'll be ok. Make sure you are thorough in the rebuild and do it all by the book though, cos if you get it wrong you'll nack your cam, and if your timing belt snaps at the same time it could be the whole thing buggered....Good luck..

They guy just called me back, he said he can't find the peice and doesn't know where it could have gone missing too...He said he will talk to his friend that works on vw's and see what we can work out. He said I maybe could use the Cam & the Bearing caps from my old engine cause the clearences are set to match that cam. ( Riley says " the cap should match the cam") BUT (Blue Joe says "they are matched to the head not the cam!") He said if he needs to he will buy an all new set of bearing caps and whatever I need to fit it!

Where can I get a new set of Shell Bearings? I have checked http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ but had no luck :(

This is the Main Bearing set but it doesn't look the same or doesn't have the cap with it :(:A201038652MAH.JPG

He called back and he said his buddy that has been building C's since they came out (ehh) said he has had this happen and he had an old bearing cap machined to fit...said its a 30 minute job...He also said he is paying for it or giving me a nice refund, but He said my old one should fit it but the clearence might be off a hair or so, Sooo I have to just take the head and bearing cap from my old head to the machine shop and hae them fit it to bentley spec. Does this sound bout right?

the caps do match the cam in a way,all will have very tight/diffarent tolerances depending on all sorts...oil changes/how its been driven over the years etc etc...

but as bluejoe says,the main and most important tolerances are of the cap to head sizes.

was wondering about taking the cam and all caps from your old engine...may be more risky than using just the one from your old engine though.

the correct way to go about it is to get the plastigauge on the job and have a cap machined.

neil.

Sweetness, I just got off the phone with my friends fav machine shop and they said it would be $90 to machine the cap to fit with specs...but I had to bring a couple caps? Guess it's trial and error with them. The only other resonable machine shop I found was this older guy and he wanted $100-$150 "Depending on how aggrivating the job was" The other shops I called didn't want to do it and told me to just rebuild the older head and such...(I was going to rebuild the old head later on with bigger valves and such but needed a quick fix for a while)

Where Can I Find More Cam Bearing Caps??? OR does it have another name cause I can't find them anywhere!?