Sign in to follow this  
elrikos

g60 conrod bolts interchangability question

Hey guys

Managed to identify a knocking on my g60. When up to running temp (oil at about 102 degrees) and idling. When giving it a faint whiff of throttle i get a nice knocking noise. From browsing about i see that general consensus points to big ends knocking.

Anyway to the question! Stealers want loads for the bolts (about £6 plus vat and another £1.50 plus vat per nut). GSF do the 16v bolts (vag part number 048 105 425) for way less (about £1.20 ish and 40 p per nut.

The vag part number for the g60 conrod bolts is 037 105 425.

I was wondering whether it is actually the same part with a different number or whether there was a fundamental difference that meant they coul,dnt be used? I've searched extensively but cant find anything relevant to this question.

Any help from someone who has done this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

All the same mate,no need to re-new the nuts,just bolts,or you could do like me and re-use the old 1's.

I reused the con-rod bolts 3 times on different engines,i also re-used head bolts 3 times and never had any bother,even when i built my 2.0 g-charged valver engine i used 2 ABF gaskets+used head bolts,no water loss,steam etc.

If you want to spend some wonga,spend it on ARP or Raceware bolts,the're also reusable.

well i've ordered a set from GSF (hopefully they'll take returns if they don't fit! so you'll have a definitive answer next week!

in the mean time if anyone does KNOW that the 16v bolts arent compatible then please tell me! (don't want to get half way through the job without all the parts!)

cheers

Rich

I've got 2 rods sitting here next to me on my desk. One is a PG rod which has '037' part number which corrolates to the start of the G60 rod bolt part number and is a m9x1 thread. The other rod is out of a '9A' lump I belive and had '048' part number on the rod which would corrolate to the 16v part number for the rod. The PG rod bolt is a larger diameter and the nut has a shoulder at the bottom where it pulls dowm on the cap of the rod.

It is adviserble to replace the bolts as if you compare a used and a new bolt you can see where it has stetched and if you interlock the threads the old bolt runs off and sits on the high part of the thread on the new bolt. The new bolts need to be pressed home into their location in the rod and then torqued down. Using a new bolt ensures uniform torque on reassembly. At least if you use new bolts you know that you have done everything possible to avoid a failure in the future. For the few pounds it costs for bolts it is a good fail safe to avoid spending out twice on gaskets etc which you risk the gamble of if you use old components.