Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

New Koni suspension

Had a Koni Sport kit fitted by Stealth last Tuesday. The shocks are TAs, and the kit should give a drop of 30-40mm. However, the ride height looks just the same as it did before! :? To begin with, I thought that maybe the kit needed to 'bed in', but it's been nearly a week and it still looks the same :(

Any ideas?

Cheers

I know I'm being immensely thick, but are the shocks height adjustable as well as damping adjustable? There wasn't a spanner in the kit, so I assumed they weren't.

hello Cazza16v, did you have std suspension to start with ?

regards to the new stuff just fitted, send us a pic and i`ll be able to tell ya :thumbleft:

mmmmmm, i take it it`s the yellow ones youv`e got, they look like std fixed platform dampers but i can see a c spanner there so i`ll assume that it`s to adjust the damping rate as i cant see how the platform height can be adjusted mate

Suspension tends to sag after a few years, if it was on the original 14yo shocks and springs there's a good chance it was already close to 40mm lower than the original ride height anyway so you wouldn't notice much difference with 40mm lowering springs

Suspension tends to sag after a few years, if it was on the original 14yo shocks and springs there's a good chance it was already close to 40mm lower than the original ride height anyway so you wouldn't notice much difference with 40mm lowering springs

it`s a good point :thumbleft:

did you have new top mounts fitted aswell?

It'll take a while for it to all settle down. The infamous H&R/Koni combo initially looks no lower than stock aswell but they do settle. Unfortunately it took a year for my H&Rs to settle and drop another 10mm or so. On one of my old MK2 Golfs, I had the H&Rs on that too and after 3 years the ride height was significantly lower than when it was new.

When they say "-40" or what ever, that is usually an estimate as it varies from car to car. The arch gap may not look any tighter, but you will find the car itself has actually dropped. On an initial drop, you need to go about 50mm or more to really close up that gap, and that's where coilovers come into their own.

And I keep saying this, but you don't want the wishbones lower than parallel anyway, so -40mm is the way to go.

Yeh, had new top mounts too.

Thanks Kev, that gives me a bit more peace of mind! :) I just need to be a bit more patient :wink:

That looks pretty low to start with to be honest, I reckon the original shocks had sagged quite a bit. Looks spot on to me now!

Yeh, had new top mounts too.

Thanks Kev, that gives me a bit more peace of mind! :) I just need to be a bit more patient :wink:

Cool. In that case you can expect the rubber part of the top mount to compress at least another 5mm over a few months :wink: