Sign in to follow this  
TheWizardofOdds

Alloy Refurbishment in Glasgow..

As per the title-I'm looking for a place in Glasgow or surrounding area with a good reputation in alloy wheel refurb.My solitudes are absolutely knackered and need some money spent on them..anyone recommend somewhere?..I can throw 200 guineas at it.

Thanks.

I had mine done at a place recommended to me by my local garage owner who is a fussy rather meticulous person.

I was not as impressed with absolutely everything, as it turns out, but ended up with a good job done for "repair and recoat alloys" to four Solitudes for £197, incl VAT.

They are "Wheel Services" at 40 Main Street, Plains near Airdrie (pronounced Errdrie, as you may know!) Tel 01236 842554.

Three warnings

1 - leave all four wheels to be done at once to keep down cost. Have someone with you in another car give you a lift home, or take your C's wheels to them in another vehicle. I went on my own, had to drive home on spacesaver and three wheels loaned by them (£eighteen). The loaned wheels were slightly too big and on bumpy stretches of road, scraped on wheel arch etc on way home and on return to Plains to pick up my own wheels. A bit of a sweat, both trips - never again.

2 - they only accept payment by cash or cheque. I had to drive into Airdrie and back to get cash.

3 - Oh, and don't make jokes about Plains and Airdrie being "injun country" and like the Wild West, etc. - I mentioned it once and did not get away with it!

I had to back off and say, "never mind I originally come from Dundee" wherupon the atmosphere became more relaxed as they joked about teuchters and so on.

Hehe..thanks for the response and info Craigowl.

Could you expand as to why you're not happy with everything?(is that refering to the substitute wheels?).

I would prefer to leave my car with them rather than take off the wheels etc. as I can't leave the car on bricks.Any idea what the turnaround time is..a few days maybe?

I'm aiming to have the alloys as close to brand new as possible,did they match the colour well on yours?

I wont be making any jokes like you did either-it is injun country!

do not use wheel services....................................................

done my solitudes last week,£220 wast of money... not nice to deal with,its a long story. you can come and see mine if you want.if your not in a hurry i might know a place that was recomended to me by msw.

Thanks lads.

Strangely,one of my posts has disappeared on here!

lpf33-dang,too late-I took the alloys there yesterday at about 2-ish.

What's wrong with yours?

Craigowl,thanks for the gen.