Sign in to follow this  
stoner

Another wierd idle problem

My 1.8 16v is suffering some odd problems with idling. The other week, when I started the car, it wouldn't idle, and kept stalling. It clear itself after a few restarts, I thought it might have been a fuel blockage so I thought nothing else of it.

Then today, I got a similar thing. The car just wouldn't idle, kept dying at every junction. After a couple of miles, it cleared up a bit, but still would only idle at 500rpm. By the time I'd got 30 miles, it was OK again, idling at 800rpm.

Apart from this, the car runs fine.

Any idea what's going on?

Just prior to starting the car from cold, try tapping the idle valve with a hammer. If it then starts and runs fine, that's your problem. Jammed internal valve.

Another popular one on the KR 1800 16V is the cold start injector. It squirts fuel into the plenum chamber for approx 3 seconds in the mornings to assist starting. The thermotime switch then regulates base pressure accordingly (via the control pressure regulator) until the engine is up to temperature.

The cold start injectors usually lose their circuit due to a bad earth. This was very common on Golf 16Vs and the earth was down under the battery tray, shared with a load of other earths. Not sure if this is the case on the Corrado 16V but it's worth checking. You can also put a 12V LED in the blue connector on the end of the plenum and see if it lights up when you crank the engine over. If it doesn't, you've either put the LED in the wrong way round or the 5th injector does indeed have a severed connection.

HTH

Kev

Just prior to starting the car from cold, try tapping the idle valve with a hammer. If it then starts and runs fine, that's your problem. Jammed internal valve. You can also put a 12V LED in the blue connector on the end of the plenum and see if it lights up when you crank the engine over. If it doesn't, you've either put the LED in the wrong way round or the 5th injector does indeed have a severed connection.

Nice tips Kev, wish I thought of them when I had my 16V C!

Oh, and make sure you only TAP the ISV with the hammer! :roll: :lol: