Sign in to follow this  
pauliegannon

Water leak is now driving me mental

I have tried everything at this stage and cant figure where the water is leaking.Brought it to 2 mechanics and a main VW dealer,still no joy.They changed out a flange but a week later back to square one.No water in oil,but I do know that there is a slight leak of oil from the rocker cover,head gasket or both.Started it up the other day and ran it for a while in the driveway.Looked under the car a water seemed to be coming from the back of the engine ?????? Cant figure this out at all,any help?

What sought of leak....

Coolent leak? Well I had a leak and for the life of me I could not find it. Water always vanishing from res. Found it in the end. Headgasket had gone. The water was washing out No1 cylinder and then going down the exhaust. Then it just evaporated. All I heard now and again after a hard run was when getting out of car there was a sound like a kettle boiling coming from under car. Water boiling :roll: A few days later my headgasket went and cost me £353 for a head skim and refit.

Which engine?

Can't help with a VR, but if it's from the back of the engine block on a 4 cylinder, I'd suspect that the head gasket's damaged and that's where it's leaking from as that's the only water leakable part on the back of the engine I can think of other than the 2 pipes which connect to the heater matrix...

Yep sorry coolant leak.Filling the coolant bottle up every second day now with at least a pint of water.The thing is its now beeen like this for 4 months and the head gasket hasnt gone.The garage reckons the head gasket is ok apart from the small oil leak and it has also has passed a good drilling from the NCT or MOT.Is there any real way of telling if me head gaket is going before she actually blows?

my 1940cc G60's gasket weaped for a good 6 months before I finally blew it....

I just thought I had a leaky flange somewhere (oo-er!!)

Sorry lads bad on the info,its a 91 1.8 16v.Is the back of the engine where the pipes come out visable from the top or will I have to put her up on a ramp?

my heater matrix pipe that runs from near the oil cooler right under the distributer was leaking on mine, was a bit of a pain to find but found it in the end

Cheked the car inside out last night and found nothing.The last question I have is how much water or petrol should spill out the back of the exhaust when the car went on a of 5 miles run was then parked up and restarted 10 mins later?I noticed a bit of liquid spilling from the exhaust for about 5 mins,it didnt smell of petrol and was completly clean ie like water.Thanks for your help lads I will give it a serious look over at the week end.

Have you checked the core/frost plugs?? Hada similar problem on my G60. Coolant dripping from the back of the engine bay, One of the plugs was leaking. When I had the engine out shortly after replaced them all. It had just corroded away and a tiny pin hole was in it, enough to let it leak though. Easy to replace with engine out, a little harder to replace them in car but very cheap to buy.