Sign in to follow this  
aussieg60

Exhaust Headers

Any one heard of the brand "Raceland" in Germany. I have a set of stainless headers with a tag on them saying "Raceland" Seem to be like a copy of the Supersprint headers. Are they any good or should I stick with the original exhaust manifold from the G60 ?

Raceland parts are good quality but you may find the manifold you have is specific to a left hand drive car. If you do get them to fit, wrap them in heat protective tape such as Thermo Tec and the bonding spray to prevent the headers burning everything in sight. You wouldn't believe the heat that comes up from behind the engine on a car with bare headers, unbearable. We have also had chronic problems with getting a lambda sensor to work on Supersprint headers as oxygen appears to get in up stream and gives the lambda a false level to test, sending the fuelling off the scale.

Does the original manifold and down pipe not give out as much heat as the stainless header ? Would ther be much horspower gain over the standard setup ?

I was told conflicting stories by two very good garages about putting heat wrap round s/s exhaust manifolds. One said don't put it on and one said the opposite. Putting heat /insulation wrap round it can make the s/s get even hotter and more brittle making it prone to cracking. However putting it on does make heat transfer better and keeps the surrounding metal cooler. Although if you fit a good exhaust manifold it should allow you to retain the original stock heat shield which is very effective so you shouldn't need heat wrap.

I have a stainless steel exhaust manifold without heat wrap and have just retained the original heat shield. Everything is fine temperature wise under the bonnet after a long run. The one thing to ensure is that you have uprated engine (front and gearbox) mounts...they are a must with a stainless ex manifold... Also check to see if the manifold has flexi joints... this also helps to protect against engine movement. Good manifolds (and I'm pretty sure the Raceland will) will have flexi joints.

All in all I didn't see a rise in bhp (my car's a vr6 so your's may see different gains) at all with my exhaust manifold after a remap and rolling road session before and after but I did see a rise in about 10 lbs/ft torque which is good. And it does make the engine rev better.

Aussie, the stainless manifold has a greater surface area and is thinner so it radiates much more heat. My biggest issue with SS manifolds is what matth mentions, their propensity for cracking.

They look pretty too, mainly an advantage on a modified engine, the stock manifold is designed to flow a certain CFM and a modded engine will flow a far greater CFM hence my statement

Chris

I was told conflicting stories by two very good garages about putting heat wrap round s/s exhaust manifolds. One said don't put it on and one said the opposite. Putting heat /insulation wrap round it can make the s/s get even hotter and more brittle making it prone to cracking. However putting it on does make heat transfer better and keeps the surrounding metal cooler. Although if you fit a good exhaust manifold it should allow you to retain the original stock heat shield which is very effective so you shouldn't need heat wrap.

I have a stainless steel exhaust manifold without heat wrap and have just retained the original heat shield. Everything is fine temperature wise under the bonnet after a long run. The one thing to ensure is that you have uprated engine (front and gearbox) mounts...they are a must with a stainless ex manifold... Also check to see if the manifold has flexi joints... this also helps to protect against engine movement.

I totally agree with this but not about the flexi joints as these are allways the weak point of any exhaust hence the reason decent manufactures dont like using them if possible.. There are aeroquip style flexis available for headers but these would outweigh the price of most cheap tubular manifolds.

We see huge gains maybee 7-10% gains when we utilise our 1.75" primarys on the g60's and is a very effective sub £300 modification

So if I use the existing heat shield, which I hope fits I should be safe from the heat deteriorating the surroundings near the headers ?

I cant see the point of putting heat wrap when you buy a nice polished stainless header :roll: I do have the Vibra-technics all 3 motor mounts. Is there much difference between the headers for right and left hand drive cars ?

I get your point about the wrap, but I never put form before function. I doubt your existing heat shield will fit but whether or not you wrap it is up to you. Not doing it has one advantage, fitting the wrap is a horrid job that makes me itch and irritates my throat for days after, even with wearing a mask. As to the differences between right and left hand drive, I don't know with the Raceland item but Supersprint headers are quite close to the column boot on a RHD.