Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

cleaning the ISV?

right, after reading a whole load of posts about temperamental revs at idle when the engines cold, and how its more than likely the ISV, which should be cleaned, I've decided that thats probably what mine needs. (revs drop, then rise, then eventually level out after its warmed up a bit)

has anyone done a guide to cleaning it? i'm not skilled mechanically but i'd like to learn (without breaking things!) so i need an idiots guide basically! :D

hi there. ive owned corrados for the past 4 years and just got to know of the forum! this is my first post and regarding the isv clean out, simply remove the unit by unclipping and leave it soak over night in petrol and give it a good blow through to remove crap build up. you can use carb cleaner and spray it through but this is not ideal or advisable as im sure it is detremental to the unit and as they are not the cheapest of things to replace( not on the g60 at least!!!!). hope this helps. just wondering what corrado do you have?

hi, welcome to the forum :)

I've got a 1990 1.8 16v.

Thanks for the info, need a bit more from you though, where is the unit, what does it look like and how does it unclip? (told you i'm not mechanically skilled! :?)

cleaning the ISV is a not likely to cure an idle problem that only exists when cold.

its more likely a tiny vacume leak or blue temp sender problem i would think.

have you changed the ECU vacum hose lately, should be done once at year or so, its the pipe that is EXACTLY 1M long and there is a routing diagram for it on the fan shield. (on mine at least).

Personally i would change the blue sensor, and the pipe, check the idle screw on the back of the trottle body for a leak. (you can replace the o ring on it if needed) if it leaks when cold it could be sealing as the engine warms up with the metal expanding slightly.

then and only then take the ISV off and check it for dirt, If it looks dirty then clean it out with an air duster spray that you use for cleaning computers then try the petrol wash throught if the duster is not succesful (i wouldn't soak it over night though.)

remeber that the Isv is a valve and cleaning it out may unstick it for a short time if its faulty. Id personal spend a little money on the other small parts before buying a new isv any day, then if it is the isv you know that the other parts are new and should not cause you problems for a while.

well it had its 80k service not so long ago, but they obviously didnt pick up on the problem as the car would have been warm when they started it! doh! I might take it back to the garage armed with the info you've just given me and ask them to have a look for me. Ta Jet.

get them to check the cold start valve part 067 906 171 for the KR engine or with a "A" after it for the 9A Engine.

i'm bet you have a problem there somewhere.

andiG60: soaking in petrol overnight would be far more detrimental to the unit than spraying it with carb cleaner. there's a motor in the unit that i was told to keep *up* while cleaning it so as to not get carb cleaner in the motor... surely soaking in petrol overnight would foul the motor.